• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Litchfield NP - Northern Territory (1 Viewer)

Simon A

Hi all,

Have got a couple of days soon in the Darwin area, will be in Litchfield National Park (early September) - anyone got any trip reports, or particularly good spots?
Am particularly keen to see Blue-winged kookaburra and any NT finches, but anything of interest greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Litchfield

Hallo Simon,

Litchfield has good places with waterfalls. Maybe in September it will be more dry. For birdlife I can not remenber in Litchfield NP.
Not far from Darwin is also Fog Dam. They want create an agriculture area. Lots of birds came and occupied this area. So now is a protected area. There is also a boardwalk through an monsun forest.
Birdlife is e.g. Jacana, Brolga, Jabiru, Beaeater, Kingfisher

Nearby Darwin is also a lake surrounded with monsun forest.
In this lake are turtles and big fishs.

Best regards
Dieter

Thanks Dieter,

Yes, I think that I'll just miss the rains, so not sure what condition some fo the waterfalls may be in. I went to Foggs Dam a couple of years ago, and it is indeed fantastic. The forest adjacent to the swamp was just dripping with birds, so may try for a repeat visit.

Cheers from Oz,

Northern Territories

I do not now how is called the lake nearby Darwin. But the tourist information know it. This area is quite crowded at weekend, because the good swimming possibilities. On working days it is rather empty.
Not to far from Darwin, in Kakadu NP is a billabong, 20 km away from the mainstreet. This is good spot to find Egret, Jabiru, Parrots and so on ( also hudge crocodils ). Of course also Guanas, in the country of Guanas.

Best regards
Dieter

I'll embark on a bit of a web search for good birding spots in the Darwin area and see what I come up with. A bit pushed for time, so have decided to leave Kakadu for a more prolonged trip.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back