• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A day on the Exe and Otter Estuaries (1 Viewer)

Common2412

Got up early on Sunday 30th March and with Terry a local birder set off from Chipping Norton across the Cotswolds to pick up the M5 near Gloucester and headed south to Exeter. Superb weather and very little traffic on the motorway. Came off the motorway at #30 and took the turning to Topsham where we parked up near the railway line at 10:10.

After some swift refreshments we headed down hill to the Exe estuary and saw the following species on the way:

Woodpigeon
Blackbird
Jackdaw
Magpie
Starling
Goldfinch
Herring Gull
Carrion Crow
House Sparrow( seemed quite common here)
Greenfinch
Collared Dove
Robin
Wren. Total 13 species

Unfortunately the tide was going out and the sun was at an awkward angle so sightings not good. But nevertheless as we walked down river we saw the following:

Mallard
Curlew
Black Headed Gull
Teal
Black tailed Godwit
Cormorant
Feral Pigeon
Grey Heron
Dunlin
Grey Plover
Avocet
Shelduck
Chaffinch. Total now 26

Arrived at Bowling Green Marsh to be advised that the long staying Glossy Ibis had gone AWOL and it didn't reappear while I was there. sigh!!! However we picked up the following species:

Raven
Spoonbill
Wigeon
Shoveler
Coot
Moorhen
Little Egret
Blue Tit
Dunnock
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Tufted Duck
Pintail
Buzzard
Chiffchaff
Blackcap Total now 42

On the way back to the car we also added the following:

Great Black Backed Gull
Willow Warbler
Mute Swan Total now 45

We decided to head down to Exmouth and have a look over the mudflats etc. Not a good move as there were hoards of people there and not surprisingly very few birds. But whilst eating our lunch we spooted 3 Sandwich Terns on a buoy, a Pied Wagtail and a Dark Bellied Brent Goose Total now 48.

After lunch we went east to Buddleigh Salterton and parked in the car park at the mouth of the Otter Estuary. I hadn't been here before and it is truly a delightful place. Species seen here as follows:

Meadow Pipit
Oystercatcher
Purple Sandpiper
Lesser Black Backed Gull
Great Tit
Grey Wagtail
Long Tailed Tit
Rook
Linnet
Rock Pipit
Ring Necked Pheasant
Song Thrush. Final total 60 species.

Additionally along the Otter we also heard Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Water Rail.

We called it a day at this point and headed north. But I think 60 species in a compact area is not bad going and says a lot for the diversity of the habitat down there.

Surprisingly we didn't see any Swallows or Martins ar for taht matter Stonechat or Kestrel which I have found to be fairly abundant in Devon before.

I dipped on Glossy Ibis but got 12 new species for the year and 9 new species for my Devon list. So all in all we arrived back home tired but satisfied.

Common, what a day that is some list you had that day, that was worth a long drive to see all them, sorry to hear that the Ibis did not show for you, he was probably in hiding or out on the mud flats. The area is a favourite place for me to go birding and a few others on here too.

Thanks for the report Common.

Can't believe I've actually seen 6 of the birds on your list! I'd like to stretch it to 8, but I'm sure our Avocets and Widgeons aren't the same birds.

60 species sounds like a great day to me!

Steve

I haven't thought about birding around Budleigh Salterton before. It sounds quite useful, especially as you can find Purple Sandpiper there. It's a shame you didn't come across old Izzy whilst down there.

BTW as soon as I have worked out the date I will meet IanF I will PM you with another date so that we can make a meet up here. I am meeting Ian as he has promised to help me with using my camera correctly prior to me going to Spain.

If you want I will take you to the places you wanted to see here in the midlands.

A nice set of familiar birds in my birding areas. I also like Bud Salt for the unusual species and a change from the usual stomping grounds of the Exe area. I will need to get out for the Willows!

Excellent birding day out. Could do with a repeat of that one come the bird count day, plus of course the Glossy Ibis !

John J,

Bud Salt is an extensive area with a walk up both sides of the locked in estuary and another walk up the river through some fields. A quick walker could do the area in an hour and a leisurely walker could do it in 2 to 3 hours with a snack in the hide.

Hi Beverley

I am curious to know which are the 6 species you have seen from my list. I wonder if I can guess some of them. How about:

Herring Gull
Great Cormorant
Starling
Feral Pigeon
Raven
Wren (Ithink it is known as Winter Wren in the US.

Did I get any right?

Yes your American Avocet and American Wigeon are different.

Steve

Steve

An excellent day you had there to be sure. I know all the areas you describe, so it was a particular pleasure to read your report. As Andrew says, there is a hide not far from White Bridge at the mouth of the River Otter at Budleigh Salterton. You must try it next time you come down.

As for the Glossy; you have to come back - it's well worth the effort!

Hi Peter

I didn't mention it in my report but we did visit the hide you mention and it certainly is nicely positioned to look down on the gulls that were coming into roost. However by the time we got there the sun was low in the sky and shining directly at us making viewing difficult. The weather was absolutely beautiful all day but this time of the year the sun never gets that high in the sky and this can be difficult for us birders.

As for the Glossy Ibis, my friend Terry who was there with me had seen the bird 6 weeks before. I forget how many times on Sunday he told me that when he was there 6 weeks ago it had been in the pool below the viewing platform and that it had come within 12 feet of him. GRrr

Yes its true he did, and i have some photos of Izzy running off down the path in shock.....mind you i am not sure who was more shocked !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back