• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Yorkshire Birding locations HELP (1 Viewer)

pete schofield

Hi all off to Scarboro next Friday for a week and doing the Pelagic from Brid on Sunday.

Apart from Bempton can anyone help with other Birding locations within 25 miles of Scarboro.

One criteria is that I use a Mobility scooter to get around, so paths need to be reasonable with no stiles or kissing gates.

I know I have left this a bit late but any help appreciated.

Pete

pete schofield said:
Hi all off to Scarboro next Friday for a week and doing the Pelagic from Brid on Sunday.

Apart from Bempton can anyone help with other Birding locations within 25 miles of Scarboro.

One criteria is that I use a Mobility scooter to get around, so paths need to be reasonable with no stiles or kissing gates.

I know I have left this a bit late but any help appreciated.

Pete

You might struggle with a scooter at Bempton and to be honest a visit there (unless there's a good easterly) will be pointless as all the sea birds will have left now. Hornsea Mere is fairly easy from the car park, the Little Gulls should be building up nicely there in the evening. To be honest Pete I can't think of many sights, though you could call at Blacktoft, on the way there or back, or you could try sea watching from either the cliff top at Filey or Flamborough.

You could try a spot of seawatching from Flamborough Head, if there's anything you've missed on the pelagic? Alternatively, many people like to seawatch from the car park at Barmston; this has obvious advantages for anyone with mobility difficulties.

Thanks guys we were not intending to go to Bempton I realise there won't be much there this time of year.

I tried an internet search and didn't come up with much inland so thought I would try on here for local knowledge.

Any other idea's much appreciated.

Pete

Scarboro

pete schofield said:
Thanks guys we were not intending to go to Bempton I realise there won't be much there this time of year.

I tried an internet search and didn't come up with much inland so thought I would try on here for local knowledge.

Any other idea's much appreciated.

Pete

Hi Pete,
You could try Danes Dyke on the main road Bridlington-Flamboro it is wheel chair friendly,then there,s Forge Valley at East Ayton just outside Scarboro,
and if you go to Blacktoftsands you can call at Northcave Wetlands a great little reserve.and not forgetting Scarboro mere.
Stan

what about wykeham forest raptor viewpoint?

i was there on monday, and although most of the raptors wont be around, we still had buzzard, peregrine, kestrel and sparrow hawks, while we were there.

Forge valley nr scarboro has a nice selection of woodland birds and a viewing area that gets marsh tits, nuthatches, woodpeckers, jays plus all the usual fare. Dalby and Wykeham forests have various birds in but im dubious as to the access about. Scarboro mere (near morrisons, Seamer) has had a few decent birds. Scalby mills can be quite productive at the northern end of scarboro. If there is decent fall conditions then Bempton round the car park is good, as can be virtually every bush on the east coast. South Landing on flamboro is usually good with a road down to the beach through the valley where rarieties are usually found. Where to watch birds in Yorkshire may give you a few more pointers. Hope thats of some help.

Thank you one and all for your replies. Some great suggestions there and plenty to have a go at.

James guess what wife came home from work today (Titchwell RSPB) with a copy of "Where to watch birds in Yorkshire".

Just got to hope the weather is kind to us now.

Thanks all

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back