• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pics of adult male ruby-throated on perch from new member (1 Viewer)

standard

http://tinypic.com/b6r609.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b6r7g4.jpg

hi, folks,

here's a couple pics of an adult male ruby that's been perching near the window feeder lately.
my name is stan, and I'm in downtown nashville, tn. I'm in a southbound migrating lane, I think. very little activity in april, may, june here, but constant turnover from july 10th-oct 10th. I've been feeding hummers and growing flowers for 2 years. my parents have been feeding hummers for 20 years in rochester, ny, and I worked on a vegetable farm for 2 years in high school, so I'm not entirely new to either. I'm glad to see some old friends here, and hope to correspond with some new ones.

I recently had a 'first.' a juvie ruby drank from the feeder while I was holding the feeder in my hand! it was thrilling! I had just walked outside with a freshly filled feeder, and one came right to me and hovered. I froze motionless, and it fed from 2 of the ports and checked me out in between sips. this went on for maybe 15 seconds until we were both divebombed by an adult male. I love this time of year!

thank you, birdlegs, for referring me here. I got hung trying to register, but the admin here was helpful. very patiently helpful, thanks.

glad to have found you all, friends.

standard
(stan)

Hi Standard and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It is a totally awesome experience to have a hummer feed from your hand and I'm glad you got to experience it. We're glad you found your way to us and we look forward to your future postings.

Hi, Stan! Another warm welcome to you from BirdForum!

I've had that happen almost every time I hang out a newly filled feeder where one or more just can't wait for me to get the feeder back on the hook. I've even had to gently shoo perched hummers off an empty feeder so I could take it into the house -- I mean, they'd still be perched on it after I'd taken it down off the hook and trying to walk inside! They're sure fearless little boogers, aren't they? Love 'em! :t:

Hey Standard nice to see you, and your pictures. DH saw a male yesterday mourning along with a couple of females ripping around the yard, of course that was before I got out of my nest. Then after that, no birds for the rest of the day and night. I thought I would get lots of pitcures but nary a bird showed up. Waa! Same story for today. Waa!

Hi Standard I'm glad you came here! Your pictures are great! I can never get that close to a male. Like birdlegs I saw one yesterday not today but that's later than usual I think. I still have 2 or 3 juveniles or females chasing each other! Sarah

standard said:

thank you, birdlegs, for referring me here. I got hung trying to register, but the admin here was helpful. very patiently helpful, thanks.

glad to have found you all, friends.

standard
(stan)
Glad to see you made the migration!!!

Hi Stan! So glad to "see" you here. Great photos -- isn't that red gorget just beautiful!! I'm with you -- I just love this time of year. I tried holding a feeder today, but don't have enough fighting that they were brave enough to feed. I'm hoping to have as many migrators as last year when they would readily perch and drink as I held a feeder.

Hi, Stan and welcome!

Nice shot and what a cool experience to have a baby drink while you held the feeder.

Lydia

Great shots Stan !

I have a Fire Bush I planted right outside the window by my computer that allows me to be within 3-6 feet of the hummers as they feed and I can imagine your thrill while yours fed out of your hand.

Lee

Hey Stan!!!!!!
I have been wondering where you were. In fact I just typed up an email to you. Guess I will have to do some editing now.

THat is so awsome that one of your hummers came to the feeder while you were holding it...what a lucky dude you are! My activiy has slowed considerably since the week end and I know that all too soon they will all be at your house. I am having a hard time already figuring out how to waste my time each day LOL!

Penny

hey, penny!!
so glad to see you here, too.
after your hummers leave, you'll have to just travel down south to see some more.

a week ago today, I saw the mating "U" shuttle flight for the first time ever...at the nursery! I had gone to see if they had any pineapple sage on sale. was told that hummers visit the nursery in the evening for the rose of sharons. I looked around and didn't see any, but then I heard them and followed the noise. one was swinging back and forth like he was on an invisible pendulum, and I could see a female sitting on a trumpet vine watching him. they then both flew off in the same direction.
it is so exciting to see behavior first hand that I read or hear about.

Stan, I still have at least 3 up here in NY. Each morning I go outside hoping that there are still some around and just when I think that they are all gone one will appear out of nowhere. I am trying to collect seed now so I have plenty of plants when they return next spring. I keep hoping that one day my husband will be ready to give up and move back south....as you well know that would thrill me to no end. BTW, we are still working on the patio. DH finally got the cast off and is a bit more mobile so we are ordering the stone for the patio now. Hope to have it all ready for next spring when the hummers return and I can sit out there early in the morning with them!
Penny

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back