• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May!!! (1 Viewer)

Wan2caTanager

Hello everyone!
For the first time ever I will be going to Cape May! I have heard so much about the great birding there, so I am so excited! I just bought Peterson's field Guide to Warblers and Hawks in Flight by Pete Dunne, Clay Sutton, and David Sibley in preparation! |=)| I am going in October and and I was wondering if someone could recommend some good places to go birding.
Thanks so much! |=)|

Your going to love it.I went two Octobers ago. Our group spent four days and covered CM bird observatory during raptor watch.The city beach across from the hotel was always good. We moved around a lot during our stay covering sunset beach,Higbee beach.On our final day we went North to the Brigantine wetlands and the NJ wetlands institute in Stone harbor. Cape May gave me 15 lifers
good sightings,
Sam

Wan2caTanager said:
That's great, thanks for your ideas! |=)|

Mandy, go to www.njaudubon.com, click on sightings, click on the Cape May birding hotline, it will tell you what's being seen and where. Also stop at either of the CMBO centers, you can pick up a map of the local birding areas.
Higbee beach at dawn, Cape May state park hawkwatch around mid morning, Stone Harbor point after that, the beanery, the meadows, all are good depending on weather conditions and wind direction. Have a ball !!!

Wan2caTanager said:
Hello everyone!
For the first time ever I will be going to Cape May! I have heard so much about the great birding there, so I am so excited! I just bought Peterson's field Guide to Warblers and Hawks in Flight by Pete Dunne, Clay Sutton, and David Sibley in preparation! |=)| I am going in October and and I was wondering if someone could recommend some good places to go birding.
Thanks so much! |=)|

Hi Tanager

I counted at the Avalon seawatch 2 falls ago and lived at Cape May for 3 motnhs during that time. Words cannot describe how awesome it is. Here is a list of places to go, first you should head to the shop see web link belowe for directions to CMBO's shop at Cape May.

www.njaudubon.org

List of sites to visit

Hawkwatch - Cape May State Park
Higbees Beach WMA - visit the dyke at dawn to see spectacular flights of songbirds
Hidden Valley - my favourite place to look for migrants as not many people
bird there except locals
Avalon Seawatch - due to construction of a new seawall the count has oved to 8th avenue in Avalon. Big numbers of birds moving from mid October
Stone Harbour - great for shorebirds and terns

Have a great time, I know you will its simply the best place to bird on the east coast :D

Thanks again everyone, you've all been a great help! I cannot wait to go! And of course I'll be sure to post what kinds of lovely birds I see! |=)|

By the way - please pick up and read A Season At The Point, by Jack Connor.
Best book about Cape May there is.
I'll be down second week of October myself - really looking forward to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back