• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwits on the Move Again (1 Viewer)

flutes

Well as ever at this time of year here in NZ..I am looking forward to the amazing journey of the Bartailed Godwits...and for them to arrive on the Estuary...here in Christchurch shortly..
It fills me with such a sense of wonder at the journey these birds make..I just love this 'other' world there is out there..which makes human endeavours sometimes pale in comparison at what Nature has created..

I feel very blessed that I am one of so many people such as these on this site who can have this great love of birds.
Boy I sound like a 'born again'..but that is how much it means to me.!!!

Flutes

The Godwits are also increasing in numbers here on Roebuck Bay. The Eastern Curlews left early March and are arriving early as well, they started increasing in numbers in early August!

Grey Plovers and Common Sandpipers are suddenly abundant where there were none over winter. An Asian Dowitcher or two are popping up (my favourite), and Sharp-Tailed Sandpipers are everywhere among the mangroves - probably because most of the freshwater wetlands are dry this year after last year's failed wet season.

It's sad that I leave here at the start of November, but I'll keep an eye out for the considerably smaller numbers around Perth.

I saw my first Godwits in Hong Kong on the 12th August so you should be seeing them any time soon.Neil.

Gemfyre said:
The Godwits are also increasing in numbers here on Roebuck Bay. The Eastern Curlews left early March and are arriving early as well, they started increasing in numbers in early August!

Grey Plovers and Common Sandpipers are suddenly abundant where there were none over winter. An Asian Dowitcher or two are popping up (my favourite), and Sharp-Tailed Sandpipers are everywhere among the mangroves - probably because most of the freshwater wetlands are dry this year after last year's failed wet season.

It's sad that I leave here at the start of November, but I'll keep an eye out for the considerably smaller numbers around Perth.

Hey Gemfyre..

I would guess that the Godwits that you get in Australia arrive from Siberia ( 'Yukon Delta etc.? same as ours..these are the birds that fly non-stop..
Here in Christchurch they ring the Cathedral Bells when they arrive..it is so fantastic..
Last year I was in the Cathedral Square and heard the bells and a wee plane flew overhead saying.."Godwits have arrived..Spring is here" !!
i just love it all so much..
I am about to ring the Council and see if anyone knows what stage they are at..I dont' know that they have arrive yet as it is in the papers..which seems a bit funny if you have arrivals already from the same source as ours..

Nice to hear from you...where are you going in NOV.?

Caroline

Neil said:
I saw my first Godwits in Hong Kong on the 12th August so you should be seeing them any time soon.Neil.

Cheers Neil..

Not sure that teh ones you get are the ones that come down here..as there are different migration tracks...must check out some more..
Do they stay in Hong Kong or fly on?

Caroline

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back