• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Manfrotto tripod and head (1 Viewer)

birdeast

Sometimes I just dont understand!!!! I find that spotting scopes are considerably more expensive here (Singapore) than the US. I also find that many digital cameras are as well. At the same time, I get a good deal on Nikon Monarchs and now it looks like I might have on a tripod. Best part of it is....most cameras and many optics are made in Asia!?!

I just went down and bought the cheapest Manfrotto tripod and head combination that I could find and still be of adequate height for me. I purchased 055 PROB (3021BPRO), a 222 (3265) grip action ball head and a MBAG80 bag to carry it in. I negotiated a bit, but left resolved that I just got 'whacked'....paid US$205.

Well....I just checked B&H and found that the same setup would cost me approx. US$275!!!

I may not of have gotten the best deal, but I sure do feel a lot better now :bounce:

Now the question is....Is this model combination a good tripod system? I went for Manfrotto because of all the positive things I have read about the brand on the internet. The reason I went for the grip action head is because it gives me a little additional height (I'm 6'8") and it just felt right. They had a wide selection of Gitzos and a few Slik's, but I just could not get myself to pay for a Gitzo and I wanted to do a little better than a Slik 'combination'. I'm going to use the tripod for mostly bird photography.

I told the guy that I might want to use it with a spotting scope in the future and he didn't think the head was right....I kind of see what he means....Oh well...cross that bridge when it comes

I am finished spending money now (so my wife tells me). Its time to get some good pictures!

Scott

The 3021 is a decent tripod, probably the most common one used for scopes.

I think the weak link in your setup is the head, but if it works for you, great. I never liked it, but have seen a few of them around.

Thanks for your input Bill.

I also have done more checking around and have to agree that the reviews for the head are at best mixed. As I stated earlier, I have never (significantly) used any tripod or head. This felt good on the showroom floor. I hope it feels the same when I have it out this weekend (o)<

All I know for certain is....My wife is gonna kill me when she gets back from Hong Kong on Saturday :-C

Scott

The 055 legs are great, you'll be very happy with them... the 222 head I'm not so sure of. I have tried one and felt it would be ok for use with a camera (though not with a long lens) but did not feel right with a scope (though clearly some people use it with one). The new versions of this head (the 322) seems much better - the grip is to the side (though it can be used like a 222) so you wouldn't get the extra height, but it is much nicer to use.
Depending on what you want it for I'd recommend either the 128 head (a great head for general use and a birding classic) or the 501 (excellent with long lenses or when digiscoping).
That said give your 222 a good go, I do know that some people really like it, so it might be the right one for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back