• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK, time to put my hand up (1 Viewer)

birder

For about a couple of years now I've been using a Nikon D100. What I STILL can't understand is how a 6 Megapixel camera can produce an image of 34 odd megabytes in TIFF (image shot on RAW).

Please can someone enlighten me, preferably in words of 1 syllable, how this happens. Also, if a 6 Megapixel camera can produce A 34 megabyte image, will, say, an 8 Megapixel camera be capable of producing a 45 Megabyte TIFF, or a 12 Megapixel camera result in a 68 Megabyte file? Is there some logical conversion factor which can be used to 'predict' this?

I know, I KNOW I should understand but ............

Please be gentle with me!!!

Kevin

I think you get three lots of info from each pixel - RGB - via the camera's processing which trebles the file size (approx - not sure why it's not quite 18Mb) and then this is doubled if you're converting your RAW files to 16 Bit TIFFS (my Canon 20D gives approx 46Mb 16 Bit files)

Of course, I could be wrong, but I think that's about what it is!

Hi Kevin

A Tiff file 3072 x 2048 (6Mega pixel) x 3 ( for each RGB colour) = 18Mbytes

The above assumes 8 bits is used for each RGB colour.

If 16 Bits are used then you have 36 Mbytes.

8 Bits gives you 256 levels.

16 Bits gives you 65536 levels.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back