• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

es80ed (1 Viewer)

T

ticker

hello everybody,i have just been to low barns were infocus have had a rep.i went there to have look at the gs 665ed and es80ed both by opticron.i was impressed by the es80ed.i would like to read the views of any es80ed owners.

ticker said:
hello everybody,i have just been to low barns were infocus have had a rep.i went there to have look at the gs 665ed and es80ed both by opticron.i was impressed by the es80ed.i would like to read the views of any es80ed owners.
You wouldn't be disappointed at all - it's a popular scope and the zoom is fine. I had trouble with bubbles and marks in all the samples I tried so gave up in the end and bit the bullet by buying a top make. You might also look at Warehouse Express special offers as they offer a few top names at similar prices to Opticron or less. The Nikon FSIII for example. All are on postal approval, so far as I know. You might also phone Kay Optical who offer a year's interest free credit if that would help the finances - again, approval via post is offered. I can vouch for the latter, but all three dealers have good reputations.

ticker said:

Hi Ticker,

I bought my ES80ED with the HDF zoom earlier this year & am delighted with it.For the money you will not find a better scope.I have compared it with my brother's Swaro & you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in most conditions.In conclusion, highly recommended.

Cheers,

John. ;)

JohnnyH said:
Hi Ticker,

I bought my ES80ED with the HDF zoom earlier this year & am delighted with it.For the money you will not find a better scope.I have compared it with my brother's Swaro & you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in most conditions.In conclusion, highly recommended.

Cheers,

John. ;)
I,ll second that John,and i,m sure many others will too.I have the same set-up. hb

Hi Ticker
Got mine 18 months ago along with the HDF zoom, great scope, couldn't ask for more for the money. Have since looked through several high end scopes and yes they are better, but to me the price isn't justified.

JohnnyH said:
Hi Ticker,

Cheers,

John. ;)
It is very good, but maybe not as good as Swaro? The Swaro offers a bitingly sharp, contrasty "3D" type view simlar to the Zeiss, Leica and Nikon. I would say that the Opticron is a bit less biting and slightly milkier / flatter. That said - as you say, you get more than what you pay for with Opticron and it would provide years of satisfaction.

scampo said:
It is very good, but maybe not as good as Swaro? The Swaro offers a bitingly sharp, contrasty "3D" type view simlar to the Zeiss, Leica and Nikon. I would say that the Opticron is a bit less biting and slightly milkier / flatter. That said - as you say, you get more than what you pay for with Opticron and it would provide years of satisfaction.

Hi Steve

would probably agree with you about the slightly milkier view but, and I appreciate you know this, the Swaro is some £800 dearer !

There is a review if the GS665ED with the new SDL zoom on BF which is very positive. And it might be worth comparing the ES80ED with the SDL zoom. I presume at some stage Opticron will launch a GS815ED

I'd agree that Ticker should check for offers but I doubt he'd be disappointed with the Opticron scopes. That said the Nikon ED82 on W/express looks good value but still its a lot more money than the Opticrons.

pduxon said:
Hi Steve

would probably agree with you about the slightly milkier view but, and I appreciate you know this, the Swaro is some £800 dearer !

There is a review if the GS665ED with the new SDL zoom on BF which is very positive. And it might be worth comparing the ES80ED with the SDL zoom. I presume at some stage Opticron will launch a GS815ED

I'd agree that Ticker should check for offers but I doubt he'd be disappointed with the Opticron scopes. That said the Nikon ED82 on W/express looks good value but still its a lot more money than the Opticrons.
I wouldn't have even made the comment but for the original comparison that was suggested...

No - the ES80 is a great scope. It must be I see so many around.

Hello Ticker.
Had my ES80ed with HDF zoom for a year and i'm very happy with it, i bought it from LCE for £538. I'm considering buying a 25x wide angle eyepiece next, for digiscoping purposes.
The Opticron product guide features a wide range of accessories too.

Al.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back