• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lynxes in medieval Britain (1 Viewer)

James Blake said:
Interesting story - archaeologists think they've discovered evidence that lynxes survived in Britain until the early Middle Ages.

The story's here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4324378.stm

James
Wow - lynx. One of those wonderful wild animals that, as a child, stirred me to enjoy the natural world. I think the first Lynx I "saw" was on a Horniman's Tea picture card! I always link it somehow with the Fenec Fox and the Gyr Falcon which were also in my collection of cards.

Last edited:
With all the large cat sightings that are claimed regularly it adds weight to the notion that they are still with us. Seriously though, a chap is planning to introduce lynx back into the Scottish countryside in a 30000 acre enclosure. Also planned are the reintroduction of European bison, wolf, bear and wild boar.

Reay_Bonxie said:
With all the large cat sightings that are claimed regularly it adds weight to the notion that they are still with us. Seriously though, a chap is planning to introduce lynx back into the Scottish countryside in a 30000 acre enclosure. Also planned are the reintroduction of European bison, wolf, bear and wild boar.

There are a small number of Lynx roaming the Scottish Highlands almost certainly, though their origins may not go back quite as far as the middle ages!

JP

I can't believe they ever thought they died out due to climatic reasons.. After all they live in a wide range of climates through Europe and there is no reason to suspect they wouldn't be in Britain naturally..

Would be great if it happens - but if the reintroduction of beavers was turned down I don't hold out much hope for a large predator

Amarillo said:
I can't believe they ever thought they died out due to climatic reasons.. After all they live in a wide range of climates through Europe and there is no reason to suspect they wouldn't be in Britain naturally..

Would be great if it happens - but if the reintroduction of beavers was turned down I don't hold out much hope for a large predator

I would wish to see lynxes back in Britain and believe they would cope well. The problem is minority of landowners. I hope they will realise that in return for all the money on subsidies they might, at least, not to block return of native wildlife.

Amarillo said:
but if the reintroduction of beavers was turned down I don't hold out much hope for a large predator
My thoughts exactly after reading the story about this in the telegraph earlier... which also mentioned the reintroduction of the Pool Frog, a species I've never heard of to my great embarrassment :stuck:

Lynx can exist close to humans. In Alps, lynx walked across streets of Zurich at night crossing from one wood to another. Nobody saw it and only people following it with radio-collar knew about it. In Poland, lynx are living now in forest on outskirts of Warsaw.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back