• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moody heron shots (1 Viewer)

SeanKP

Fledgling
On my last evening in Canada, just as the sun was really dipping down below the horizon, I went to the stretch of lake at the back of the motel where I was staying. The light had that absolutely gorgeous late evening feel to it and the reflections of the autumnal colours on the lake were quite stunning. There was a purple heron on the lake. He was quite a bit further away than I would usually bother with and although the quality of the light was wonderful there wasn’t much of it but I took some shots anyway. The results were quite interesting and are pleasing to me because they act as an effective reminder of that last evening.

I've posted three of the pics in my gallery here , here and here but I genuinely can’t decide whether they have any genuine merit or not. Are they too dark and 'moody'? Is the bird too far away? What do you all think? All constructive criticism genuinely appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean

Are they too dark and 'moody'? Is the bird too far away? What do you all think?

I quite like them. I would not say the bird is too far away at all. Often photographing wildlife we fill the frame with the subject and leave little or no negative space around it. Leaving a large area of landscape around the subject can enhance the story and mood of the picture by creating an impression of the habitat and habits of the subject - was it alone in a wide space, was it practically invisible in a reed bed etc? These owl pictures by Todd Mintz are the best example I can find to demonstrate what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/yahsemtough/image/47147030

http://www.pbase.com/yahsemtough/image/47167613

I really like the lighting. One thing I would have liked to see was the bird slightly less centred within the landscape although of course thats particularly difficult when he's flying.

To echo what Bluetail and Isurus say...

I agree that "context" shots - the bird in its habitat - are definitely merit-worthy.

While those "you can see the reflection of the photographer in the bird's eye" close-ups are great, it is a real pleasure to see a bird in its environment, especially when the environment is as pleasing as the lake your heron was on.

Like most people, I'm a huge fan of Nigel Blake: one of the best things he's ever done is his "barn owl at sunset" picture

The bird in this picture is almost incidental, yet the overall effect is breathtaking.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/data/527/120barn_owl_sunset_0954.jpg

Last edited:
Doh! Bluetail you are right. I'm wrong. I've now corrected my error. Thank You!

Isurus and Keith, whilst I fully understand your reasons for posting your respective links and I totally understand your respective points, you've both posted links to photos that I am in absolute awe of and that put my paltry images to shame.

Like most folk I am a big fan of Nigel Blake's work but I'd never seen that owl shot. Thanks for posting it. It is genuinely something to aspire to and I truly appreciate what he has achieved with that shot. But to compare my humble offering with that masterpiece (and I don't use that word lightly) is not fair!

Thanks.

Sean

I appreciate your modesty, Sean!

;)

The point stands though, that an viewer can get an awful lot from images which don't have the bird as the biggest (or only) subject, and your heron shots definitely fall into that category.

A far more mundane example of this approach is my wheatear here:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63386/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

It's not much of a shot in any technical sense, but it works well enough (by my standards) because of the context.

Last edited:
Oh I like it well enough, Jason.

As I say, it isn't technically brilliant, but overall it's easy on the eye, and works because the bird doesn't dominate the picture, but adds to the overall scene.

The same can be said of Sean's herons.

Keith Reeder said:
Oh I like it well enough, Jason.

As I say, it isn't technically brilliant, but overall it's easy on the eye, and works because the bird doesn't dominate the picture, but adds to the overall scene.

The same can be said of Sean's herons.
Agreed but the composition is excellent too. Great use of the rule of thirds and just the right amount of space. Much more and the bird would be too small, much less and you've got another standard portrait. I like it very much.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back