• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Ousel movement (1 Viewer)

dandare

Higher numbers than normal being recorded in South Wales(unfortunately none so far on my patch)... an unprecedented 52 at a site in the Rhondda Valley(flushed by a Sparrowhawk) and a report of 70 around the visitor centre in the Elan Valley. Also more birds than usual being seen in the Cardiff area, including a couple of garden visitors.

Seems to be a heck of a year for thrush(except for Fieldfare which seem to be noteable in their absence?)movement in south-west UK... how's things in your neck of the woods and can anyone recall a similar event in the past?

dan

certainly haven't seen much in the way of overhead Fieldfare (though currently I'm not having much luck with that species in any way) ... Blackbird was more noticable than usual about 2 weeks back, lots of flighty 1st-year males through treetops though my vis-migging this Autumn hasn't produced more than 10 over, some Song Thrush/Redwing movement but nothing to write home about ... overhead did get me Hawfinch and Merlin though so not complaining

There's definitely been a lot reported from around the country over the last few days.

There was even one reported in my county yesterday from a site that usually turns them up in spring (they're almost unheard of in autumn, hereabouts!)

I'm off out in a few minutes to check a site near to me that sometimes has spring records - just need this heavy cloud to lift a bit so I've got half a chance of actually seeing one if it's there!

I visited an area of the New forest yesterday which in recent years has been a popular stop-over site for Ring ouzels,I managed to see a juv male with a supporting cast of Merlin,Wheatear & Golden plover.When I got home & later checked my regional mailing group somebody had reported up to 10 in that area.My local nature reserve(coastal)has also experienced good numbers.So far this autumn i`ve seen Redwings but no Fieldfares.

Cheers Steve.

Caught up with Ring Ouzel at Spurn, Wed.

Massive influx of Redwing c130 on my local patch Fri with double figures usual.
Plenty of Thrush activity generally but only 2 Fieldfare thus far.
Have been absent for a couple of days so keen to see the situation this afternoon....anticipating S E Owl return.

South coast has had unprecedented (I believe) numbers this autumn - being seen daily in local patch (Christchurch Harbour) with some daily counts (over 40!) exceeding some annual totals!

Was at Caerlaverock on Thursday and was told by a member of staff there that they'd had between 9 and 14 Ring Ouzels there the previous day - all gone when I looked for them though!

James

Not sure if its me, but this is a bumper Autumn for Ring Ouzels, keeping bumping into them.....lovely birds, can't get enough of them.

Definately a bumper autumn for ouzels here in the south west (and elsewhere it would seem). There were six birds at Dawlish last week - yet there had only been four pevious records! Also managed to connect with the Hawfinch influx as well.

More information at www.dawlishwarren.co.uk

This autumns influx of Ring Ouzels is the largest ever recorded in Glamorgan and going by the above feedback it seems as if that may well be the case in other parts of the country too.
It's also been a record year for Redwings in East-Glamorgan with massive numbers moving east on October 16th... I counted close on a thousand birds passing over my local patch in a 1 hour spell and still streaming through when i headed home, never seen anything approaching that number in 25 years of working my patch... a cold winter on its way perhaps?

Thanks for the info everyone

dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back