• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grassland fungi (1 Viewer)

checklg said:
The following are growing amongst the grasses on Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. Can anyone help me identify them?

http://www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley/image/51157360

http://www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley/image/51157299

http://www.pbase.com/grahamcheckley/image/51157265

Regards,
Graham.

Unfortunately I am back on dial-up access for the foreseeable future, so it is hard for me to view images. But the first is a Galerina species. I find these very tough and won't hazard a guess. The second is indeed a Puff Ball, maybe Lycoperdon perlatum. The third is curious. The species that come to mind are the Chanterelle, Cantharellus cibarius, and the False Chanterelle, Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca, but the fluffy cap is not right for the first, and the colours are maybe wrong for the second. The gills look more like hymenal folds, consistent with the first one, but they could be 'baby' gills, and apparently the second species can have a fluffy cap. On balance I would opt for H. aurantiaca, but it's a guess.

Leif

I have a faulty phone-line just now, so like Leif I am currently 'Internet-challanged'. Doing my best here with the fungus posts.

Still, these are very nice photographs from an area where I have been looking at fungi in the basalt pastures myself, whenever I get the chance.

1: Galerina pumila
It is much the commonest acid grassland Galerina with white flecks of veil on the stem, as shown so well in your photograph. Colour often a fairly bright orange-brown.
Other common Galerina species in the same habitat are:
G. mniophila, much duller colours, very pale stem without conspicuous veil remains, larger spores. Likes wetter weather and often in patches of Polytrichum formosum (a moss).
G. vittiformis, variable, but often with stem darker below, stem minutely pubescent with projecting cystidia, except when students have been handling it!

2: Lycoperdon foetidum
Often common in acid pastures.

3. Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca
As Leif says, it is a bit odd for that species, but it is variable in colour and I often see young specimens with immature gills. The cap is indeed fluffy at that stage. It seems to vary more in grasslands than in woodland.

Alan

Silver said:
I have a faulty phone-line just now, so like Leif I am currently 'Internet-challanged'. Doing my best here with the fungus posts.

Still, these are very nice photographs from an area where I have been looking at fungi in the basalt pastures myself, whenever I get the chance.

1: Galerina pumila
It is much the commonest acid grassland Galerina with white flecks of veil on the stem, as shown so well in your photograph. Colour often a fairly bright orange-brown.
Other common Galerina species in the same habitat are:
G. mniophila, much duller colours, very pale stem without conspicuous veil remains, larger spores. Likes wetter weather and often in patches of Polytrichum formosum (a moss).
G. vittiformis, variable, but often with stem darker below, stem minutely pubescent with projecting cystidia, except when students have been handling it!

2: Lycoperdon foetidum
Often common in acid pastures.

3. Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca
As Leif says, it is a bit odd for that species, but it is variable in colour and I often see young specimens with immature gills. The cap is indeed fluffy at that stage. It seems to vary more in grasslands than in woodland.

Alan

Some nice fungi pics posted here Graham, looks like a good spot to foray.

Useful tips on Galerina id. from Alan, will try them out on my next grassland foray. By the way Alan, did you name that interesting fungus you kept away from stundents on your recent foray? I was wondering what it was that interested you?

Fungbot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back