• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First waxwing report (1 Viewer)

First movements ...of small numbers ...occurred up here in last days. Flock of 11 at coastal observatory today. Last year, the massive UK influx was precedeed by great numbers moving through (had flocks of hundreds everywhere throughout Nov), so will keep you posted ;)

We have now thousands of waxwings here in Central and East Finland. Because we have quite much berries in the rowan trees in places, they will spent about 2-3 weeks or so here to eat these berries and then birds will continue their invasion to the south. ....

They're beginning to arrive here. 27 on Orkney yesterday with 12 on Shetland and 1 briefly at Spurn. 1 flew past at Musselburgh today.

Bluetail said:
They're beginning to arrive here. 27 on Orkney yesterday with 12 on Shetland and 1 briefly at Spurn. 1 flew past at Musselburgh today.

Great stuff. :t: Im just over the water from Orkney. I saw them on Halloween last year.
I'll be on the lookout.

25+ in a garden in my town. Not sure where I saw it on the net. But hopefully that is only beggining of them. There was also 22 about 60 miles south the other day.
Fingers crossed for this weekend.

Various sightings around Caithness now. Not large numbers though, apart from the ones mentioned above, all sightings are of less than 10birds at a time.

I didn't know that that many waxwings are coming already, on birdguides there were only a couple of reports. I also hope that there will be an invasion this year,even though there were so many last year I didn't see one!I need some this year!

Apparently Wackos are building up in Scandanavia once more, as are Pine Grosbeaks and Hawk Owls.

Now I know which one of the three I'd prefer to see...

Hi all,
One has been reported on Dursey Island (Co.Cork) last Monday. The species is unusual in the county, especially in autumn, but last winter's record influx was preceded by a few in autumn on the headlands, so....
Been an amazing year for migrant Hawfinches here too.
Harry

Mirroring, though on a much smaller scale, the events of last year up to 300 Waxwings were reported from the 20th mostly on the Western and Northern Isles including up to 44 on Unst (Shetland) on 23rd and 30 in Kirkwall (Orkney) on 27th.

An extract from The SOCs October bird sightings. Info from birdline Scotland.

Small numbers have been arriving here for the past week, with the largest flock being 30, three days ago. At least 15 today, feeding on apples in my garden. I am colour-ringing these birds so please keep an eye out for any(many have been ringed over the past few years, not just this autumn). I know that numbers are slowly increasing in Aberdeen this week, so we may get another invasion, although it is to early to say. The influx in October last year was very, very early. Paul

Waxwings were reported on the Farnes on Thursday. :t:

Fingers crossed I finally catch up with the little blighters THIS winter!

Reports coming through from Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Yorkshire in recent days. Looks like there will be plenty around again.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back