• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An unusual Fungus (1 Viewer)

Fungbot

This fungus is unusual and worth looking out for;

It was found on enriched soil, growing under an old oak tree in parkland. The habitat was a large stinging nettle bed frequented by cattle!

I'm convinced it's Entoloma pleopodium (E.icterinum in some books). It's small cap about 2-3 cm and a striking yellow colour but the best feature is the strong smell - chewing gum or pear drops (amyl acetate). (Someone might tell me I'm wrong with the id. :t: )

Worth checking any stinging nettle beds you may pass. (yes, I got stung but it was a new fungus 'tick' for me - so worth it!)

Fungbot

Attachments

• Entoloma pleopodium sm..jpg
    Entoloma pleopodium sm..jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 205
Fungbot said:
This fungus is unusual and worth looking out for;

It was found on enriched soil, growing under an old oak tree in parkland. The habitat was a large stinging nettle bed frequented by cattle!

I'm convinced it's Entoloma pleopodium (E.icterinum in some books). It's small cap about 2-3 cm and a striking yellow colour but the best feature is the strong smell - chewing gum or pear drops (amyl acetate). (Someone might tell me I'm wrong with the id. :t: )

Worth checking any stinging nettle beds you may pass. (yes, I got stung but it was a new fungus 'tick' for me - so worth it!)

Fungbot

Nice picture, and no disagreement from me on the ID!
As you say, nettlebeds are a characteristic habitat for it.

In fact beds of nettles and of Dog's Mercury are very often worth delving into. They pick out the richer soils, often a fine loam underneath and they can produce some attractive (and even identifiable!) Entoloma species, also good for the smaller Lepiota species, various of the larger cup fungi, and, for the fortunate, Limacella glioderma or L. vinosorubescens.
A stick (or umbrella) for gently parting nettles is an essential item of equipment for the Compleat Forayer.
(Along with the basket, the tubes, the waxed paper, the notebook or mini tape recorder, the map, the field guide, the GPS thingy, the photographic gear, the lunch, the flask of coffee ......)

Alan

Silver said:
Nice picture, and no disagreement from me on the ID!
As you say, nettlebeds are a characteristic habitat for it.

In fact beds of nettles and of Dog's Mercury are very often worth delving into. They pick out the richer soils, often a fine loam underneath and they can produce some attractive (and even identifiable!) Entoloma species, also good for the smaller Lepiota species, various of the larger cup fungi, and, for the fortunate, Limacella glioderma or L. vinosorubescens.
A stick (or umbrella) for gently parting nettles is an essential item of equipment for the Compleat Forayer.
(Along with the basket, the tubes, the waxed paper, the notebook or mini tape recorder, the map, the field guide, the GPS thingy, the photographic gear, the lunch, the flask of coffee ......)

Alan

Thanks for confirming id. It can be useful to have a wife (who is also keen on fungi) to carry at least some of those essential items. ;)

Fungbot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back