• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calling predators (1 Viewer)

saluki

United Kingdom
I've been doing a bit of random predator calling at dinner time this week - everyone's got to have a hobby! Monday I called in first a Stoat then a few hundred yards further on, a Weasel. This was from a footpath cutting through reclaimed land, a place I often see both Stoat and Weasel. Tuesday and this afternoon I visited Risley Moss NR and on both occasions managed to call in a fox from 'Moss Side' hide.

I've uploaded some predator calls, they can be downloaded from here:

http://www.streamload.com/About/Home.asp

name: salukiuk
password: natasha

These were made by an American guy, but the call I usually make sounds very similar to the 'high pitched squeal'. If anyone's interested, I make the sound by sucking on the palm of my hand, cup your hand so that the skin's not too taught and move your hand to vary the pitch.

If you find a quiet spot, even in the middle of the day, you'll often call something in. Most foxes lay up in thick cover rather than in an earth, only heavy rain puts them to ground, so they'll hear you and hopefully come in. All kinds of animals will react to the call once you've mastered it - rabbits, deer, hares, as well as predators. Birds too, often react, you'll find they come in to investigate what's going on, usually alarm calling.

saluki

Cheers for them...
Going to have a go..
One things for sure ...If I do these after dark on my patch...I reckon there will be a lot of scared youths running around.. o:D (As if I would.. ;) )

I used to believe 'Phishing' was a bit silly until I met a birder whom did that really well and allowed me to witness the amazing results...
I usually do the Tawny owl call and can usually get them answering back at me... ( I done this early one evening last summer and had my partner and kids staring and listening in total disbelief...An older couple walking the dog also enjoyed the impromptu show of the duet myself and the tawny were providing... :cool: :loveme: ;) )
I must admit, I have also tried it in the middle of the day ...
Amazingly I had a flock of mixed tits make their way to my area...I assume they were checking me out..?!?

Thanks for the information, I'll have to try it sometime outside. I just tried it now sitting by the computer and my Siberian Husky came running, it was funny.

saluki said:
If anyone's interested, I make the sound by sucking on the palm of my hand, cup your hand so that the skin's not too taught and move your hand to vary the pitch.

saluki

Hi saluki,

We use a very similar method locally, except the sound (squeal) is made by sucking on the flap of skin between the thumb and forefinger rather than the palm of the hand. For a more realistic sound, wet the skin with the tongue first!

Anthony

Hopefully twitch it. ;) Real problem puma near a place with Shearton hotel would be shot long ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back