• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please tell me about the Oostvaarderplassen nature reserve - Netherlands (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I heard about a wild and wonderful place in the Netherlands where Sea Eagles hunt and wild horses roam.

Anyone been there?

I'm particularily interested in seeing eagles, and wading birds.

Not forgetting the big mammals I heard about.

:brains:

Many Dutch will know much better, but my experiences: Nice reserve with huge herds of cows and horses, many waterbirds. Dissapointing because access is forbidden and you see everything from the far away. Saw flamingo and rl buzzard there.

Interesting for ecologist for nature restoration with leaving cattle and horses and deer population without any man-made control, presumably restoring ancient ecosystem. If you visit for birding, it is not really superior to many other Dutch sites. Still, there are white-tailed eagles wintering and great and little egrets and spoonbills breeding.

jurek said:
Nice reserve with huge herds of cows and horses, many waterbirds. Dissapointing because access is forbidden and you see everything from the far away. Saw flamingo and rl buzzard there.

You will definitely have to bring a scope for taking full advantage of this reserve! But those mammals are impressive, though not really "wild". Best place to see them (as far as my meagre experiences go) is to go to an overlook at the south-western end, looking over the railroad tracks. Can't give you more specific directions, unfortunately.

I remember this tower next to railway track. Also there is a watchpoint from the W end and it is possible to walk and drive a little on the east side.

Eagles and mammals can be seen from the south, but from far away. For some closer observations, perhaps eastern side.

I was there for a day in April 2006 and remember seeing the tree nesting cormorants, nightingale, green sandpiper and a beaver. It's a big place full of potential.

And it is the best place to watch and photograph the kingfisher. There best seen from june untill november. You can sit in a big shelter and wait for them to show themselves. I made thousands of kingfishers pics over there.

The Jan van den Boschpad is the best place to see White Tailed Eagles from.
Also, there are loads of Bearded tits, and you have a nice chance of seeing foxes.
In the area near the visitor centre you can see Bitterns, Marsh Tits, Orioles, Ducks and Waders.

(If you are in Holland, make sure to come to the Lauwersmeer in the north aswell! ;))

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back