• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reserves hope for red squirrels (1 Viewer)

How far North have the greys come?

We dont get any squirrels up here at all.
I have seen the red in Abernethy, they are great.
Hope this works, it would be such a shame to see their numbers drop any more.

kas said:
How far North have the greys come?

We dont get any squirrels up here at all.
I have seen the red in Abernethy, they are great.
Hope this works, it would be such a shame to see their numbers drop any more.

Hi Kas

The greys have crossed the Tay now. It seemed to hold them back for a long time. We see a few in Perthshire but I'm not sure about other areas. Perhaps other will report in.

D

delia todd said:
Hi Kas

The greys have crossed the Tay now. It seemed to hold them back for a long time. We see a few in Perthshire but I'm not sure about other areas. Perhaps other will report in.

D

Arrochar, at the top of Loch Long is the furthest north I've seen them on the west coast of Scotland. Speaking to a guy there a few years ago he said the odd one had started turning up a few years earlier, but now they were more common. He was shooting them whenever he got the chance.

saluki

Northern Scotland Grey Squirrel Expansion

I am afraid to say that the Grey Squirrel is as far north as Aberdeen.I have seen them in public parks but as of yet,I have not seen them in the pinewoods on Deeside,although I suspect they will be there somewhere.As an introduced species,I have to admit I dont have much time for them.Give me our native Red Squirrel anyday.

My mum was telling me about this just a few days ago! Great news that the reds are starting to reclaim old habitats and hopefully this new initiative will give them a fighting chance against greys.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back