• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Think they ever have IS on a scope? (1 Viewer)

swanny66

Do you think the scope manufacurers would ever come up with an image stabilizing system for their scopes? Would be a help for digiscoping. Don't know if it would add much weight. But it would sure be nice.

Personally I don't think so.

Canon already make IS bins, but as far as I know there is not (nor has there been) any plans for them to make a scope. I think it is more likely that the trend of having IS systems in small digital cameras will grow - I guess when the perfect digiscoping camera is finally made it will have IS.

I hope they do even if the scope is slightly heavier, because you could then save on the tripod which could be made ever so light.

Mick

I'd say not. I haven't come across an IS system that didn't advise you to switch it off when the camera is mounted on a tripod. Scopes aren't that often hand held and it's hard to imagine an IS system being so effective that it would enable hand holding (I don't think shoulder pods will ever really catch on for normal use let alone digiscoping) so I'd say it's unlikely.

Better to spend the money on quality optics or - often neglected - a quality tripod. IS is most useful for hand holding.

IanF said:
I'd say not. I haven't come across an IS system that didn't advise you to switch it off when the camera is mounted on a tripod. Scopes aren't that often hand held and it's hard to imagine an IS system being so effective that it would enable hand holding (I don't think shoulder pods will ever really catch on for normal use let alone digiscoping) so I'd say it's unlikely.

Canon says to shut the IS off....but Art Morris, Brian Small, etc. NEVER turn it off(tripod or not).....and advise against it. Why turn off what helps you make a good pic?

Otto McDiesel said:
IS = eight pound tripod.
Exactly! IS is already available for the scopes, and the weight, bulk and price :D are the prices you pay for it.

I don't see a need for IS as long as the image is formed by optical eyepieces, BUT I am also tempted to predict that electronical hi-res eyepieces + separate displays will become increasingly common in both astronomical and terrestrial telescopes - in not so distant future. And then IS will be an obvious feature along with adjustable/adapting brightness-sensitivity, digital aberration corrections, imaging systems etc.

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back