• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is it winter yet? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
i still have'nt seen any woodcock yet,a small amount of redwings and a group of fieldfares are so far the only indication of winter[apart from the leaves falling of the trees].
usually by this time of year i would have seen large flocks of redwings,fieldfares and a few goldcrests[20miles inland south norfolk].
we are also missing the annual lapwing,golden plover extravaganza along the a140 between norwich and diss!.
i wonder if any other patch watchers have noticed a 'late' winter.

matt

Last edited:
I am the same, havent seen nearly as many thrushes as I normally would this time of year. The exception to this being the blackbird, loads of them.
We do have alot of lapwing though, a flock of approx 300 have been around my work for well over a month, putting on some cracking displays.

But the geese have all been through, the whooper swans and winter ducks are all here. I dont know if temperatures are anything to do with it, it was 13 degrees here today and that is unusual for the time of year. We have also had alot of southerly wind, but this is all set to change this week as snow is the forecast for Shetland tomorrow and Northerly winds for here.

So if winter aint here yet, I think it will be by the end of the week.

Extremely mild over on the continent - a lot more birds still up here, no cold pushing them down. Some birds such as Rough-legged Buzzards haven't even made it this far in good nuumbers yet, let alone to the UK. Will be.

the redwings have been here and stripped the holly berries the last week or so and now moved on,seen about 40 meadow pippits on a rough pasture today.

It's so mild it's spooooky and not right.

Had my first Woodcock flying low over the city centre and in darkness the other night. It was underlit by floodlights. I thought perhaps it had flown from the continent and had been flying at alltitude all day. Well I can dream, can't I :-O

John.

john barclay said:
It's so mild it's spooooky and not right.

Had my first Woodcock flying low over the city centre and in darkness the other night. It was underlit by floodlights. I thought perhaps it had flown from the continent and had been flying at alltitude all day. Well I can dream, can't I :-O

John.

PS. Thrushes are thin on the ground, and in the air, over York this year. Seen a few small flocks from trains over the last few weeks, but nothing like when I were a lad!!!!

John.

We've had snow, ice, day-time temperatures well below freezing, sunrise now at 10:00 a.m., plenty of aurora borealis, Waxwings, Woodcocks, Iceland Gull numbers building up, Kumlien's Gulls, Ptarmigans are snow white, flocks of more than a thousand Snow Buntings. Yes, it's winter all right.

E

A very light dusting of snow this morning visible on the dark peat banks on the higher ground here. Some small flocks of Snow Buntings, and occasional Waxwing and Woodcocks. Noticeably more Fieldfares around last weekend, so there's still some thrushes moving through. Mountain Hares are starting to go piebald, but haven't seen a pure white one yet this year. No aurora yet, but not far away now I guess.

ce

What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday it was 13 degrees, tonight its nearly freezing. Hail and wintery showers here, but on the other side of Caithness there is snow on the roads and the snow ploughs are out.

So you could say winter has arrived, well up here anyway.

winter ?

Hi,

last weekend we had around 12 centigrads and sun in Berlin.
Saturday I saw even butterflies.
But since yesterday we have cold and wet weather like is normal in november.
Normally we have not to could weather, but wet if the wind come from nortwest ( mostly in the year, a little bit similar like Great Britain ). If the wind come from east, it is dry and hot in summer or cold in winter ( usually not cooler than -15 centigrad ).
Now we have 4 centigrad on day and until -3 in the night.
But on monday I have 6 weeks vacation.

Best regards
Dieter

20 or so Snow buntings down thebeach the other morning and i've seen some large ish flocks of crows & woodpigeons on the marshes ocross the river from the Acle straight .. sort of Stokesby / Mautby way ... Still not seen any fieldfare though

i seem to remember in the coastal fields, the majority of Lapwings turning up in late Dec / January

Bit chilly in the mornings now but not exactly cold

I met the snow plough on my way into work today. There's no sign of any snow though, so think he must have been gritting the roads in the glens. We did have an overnight frost in the town - the 3rd this week.

It's the first time I've seen the gritters out this winter.

D

fieldfares at last,at least,ohhhhh 30.also blessed a very close view of a grey wagtail on the farmers muckheap!

i expect my patch will soon be crowded over with hen harriers,short/long eard owls,geese and waxwing flocks'

in my dreams :'D

matt

no chance of getting a waxwing in the garden now,the black birds have scoffed the last of the rowanberries :'D

matt

but isn't always good on Dec 21st when suddenly you can actually think about evenings pulling out again

plenty of Feildfares about now,

matt green said:
no chance of getting a waxwing in the garden now,the black birds have scoffed the last of the rowanberries :'D

matt

Always a chance of a flyover!!!! I think if you were going to get them, you'd of got them last winter for sure!

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back