• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noise like rusty gate swinging? (1 Viewer)

boznia

I heard this noise whilst in the middle of a small wood, in North Essex. Would anyone have any idea what it could be.

By the way, the only metal gate around the perimeter of the wood was thoroughly tested for its noise.

Hope you can help,

Ben

What time of year was this? Because young Long eared Owls have a characteristic 'rusty gate' call when beggin for food from the parents

The begging call of Long-eared Owl nestlings is traditionally described as 'like a rusty gate hinge'. But Tawny Owlets can make a similar noise, so that's possible too (and perhaps more likely, as Tawnies are both much commoner, and earlier-nesting (I don't usually hear LEO chicks until well into May, whereas Tawnies are often fledging and noisiest around now).

Michael

It was about 5pm yesterday. I will go again soon and have a long look in the trees.

Thanks for your help

I was going to offer the Pheasant as well. In our younger years, my brother and I, embarked on a project to restock the pheasant population in our hometown. My mother was ready to kill us by the time they were ready to be released cause of their unending rusty hinge noise.

Rusty Gate

I heard the same noise in the Scots Pines at Holkham beach yesterday evening at about 4.30pm. The noise was coming from up in the trees but I just could not see anything. I assume this would have been an owl, rather than a pheasant?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back