• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel Tripod: suggestions for low down bum. (1 Viewer)

johnlw

My current light tripod has died. It was a cheapish aluminium camera type one. I have a proper Manfrotto 055 and head but they are out of the question for use with my bike although I have used them there. This is for travelling by bike and by air only.

My scope is an 80mm, so it's heavy but I am not looking for perfection, and I don't want to replace it. It is angled, which helps on the height.

I can compromise on height by sitting on the ground.
I can compromise on stability by never leaving it unattended with the scope mounted.
I can even compromise on a decent head.
I'm not afraid of spending money but carbon fibre is a bit OTT.

With the above in mind I'm looking for a new tripod which will be short enough to fit in bike panniers or rucsac and I can use sitting on the ground for an hour or so.
I dont need 4 sections or even three since the smallest one is liable to be too spindly to be any use with a heavy scope on top. I would be happy with an extended height of around a metre. I have tried a monopod but with limited success.

My current situation is I have a reasonable scope but don't have anything at all to mount it on (I'm away from home so can't use my "proper" one.)

Santa has offered to get me a Manfrotto 714SHB, which would fit the bill (remembering all the compromises I'm prepared to make) but I dont really need the lower legs.

Any suggestions please.

johnlw said:
My current light tripod has died. It was a cheapish aluminium camera type one. I have a proper Manfrotto 055 and head but they are out of the question for use with my bike although I have used them there. This is for travelling by bike and by air only.

My scope is an 80mm, so it's heavy but I am not looking for perfection, and I don't want to replace it. It is angled, which helps on the height.

I can compromise on height by sitting on the ground.
I can compromise on stability by never leaving it unattended with the scope mounted.
I can even compromise on a decent head.
I'm not afraid of spending money but carbon fibre is a bit OTT.

With the above in mind I'm looking for a new tripod which will be short enough to fit in bike panniers or rucsac and I can use sitting on the ground for an hour or so.
I dont need 4 sections or even three since the smallest one is liable to be too spindly to be any use with a heavy scope on top. I would be happy with an extended height of around a metre. I have tried a monopod but with limited success.

My current situation is I have a reasonable scope but don't have anything at all to mount it on (I'm away from home so can't use my "proper" one.)

Santa has offered to get me a Manfrotto 714SHB, which would fit the bill (remembering all the compromises I'm prepared to make) but I dont really need the lower legs.

Any suggestions please.

For about 3 years i had a 80mm scope (big Optolyth), but no money for a real tripod. I used a "cheapish aluminum" camera tripod. This tripod was light and small enough for a backpack (no car either, but that did not stop me from birding on 3 continents during years) - and it was stable enough for using while sitting or kneeling. I used a piece of foam camping mattress to sit, even in winter, and the tripod head was good and fluid (nice paning). I would find a log, or sit on my foam mattress or my backpack, and i had a great time. The cheapish tripod was excellent up to about 1 m height.
It is much more comfortable to sit down while looking at birds on a lake. The only problem was when there was tall vegetation.
If you are handy, you can also remove a leg section from a Manfrotto.

Otto McDiesel said:
For about 3 years i had a 80mm scope (big Optolyth), but no money for a real tripod. I used a "cheapish aluminum" camera tripod. This tripod was light and small enough for a backpack (no car either, but that did not stop me from birding on 3 continents during years) - and it was stable enough for using while sitting or kneeling. I used a piece of foam camping mattress to sit, even in winter, and the tripod head was good and fluid (nice paning). I would find a log, or sit on my foam mattress or my backpack, and i had a great time. The cheapish tripod was excellent up to about 1 m height.
It is much more comfortable to sit down while looking at birds on a lake. The only problem was when there was tall vegetation.
If you are handy, you can also remove a leg section from a Manfrotto.

Yes that describes what I do, I just need to replace my cheapish aluminum job.

I see Manfrotto have 718SHB and 714SHB which would probably work, they are £60/50 at warehouse express. both go to 1.2m and can take a max load of 2.5Kg, The 718SHB has some kind of pan/tilt head.
I will go for one of these unless I get a better suggestion.

johnlw said:

I see Manfrotto have 718SHB and 714SHB which would probably work, they are £60/50 at warehouse express. both go to 1.2m and can take a max load of 2.5Kg, The 718SHB has some kind of pan/tilt head.

the 718 has a better head for a scope.

johnlw said:

I think the manfrotto 728B takes a heavier load and is less than £90

Rich.

Old thread I know.. relevant to me though..
How would a Velbon cx586 or MAYBE a c600 do for travel in sit down position with a Nikon 82ed?
CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back