• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Premier LXL 8x42 (1 Viewer)

although i dont own a pair myself i have handled three pairs and found them all to be excellent optics,the latest version is a much lighter model of the previous version[you needed a dumptruck to carry it around!] other than that i think they are identicle.
as they have very good eye relief they would work well with glasses,they have three very positive click stops.the focus wheel is regarded as one of the best available as is the close focus [varies between 3 ,2.5].
as for the optics i found them simply more than enough and to my eyes as good as anything else on the market. you will find a more indepth review from www.betterviewdesired.com

matt

Peter Ericsson said:
I wonder if anyone has any experience with the latest model as shown here
http://www.binoculars.com/products/Nikon_8x42_Premier_LXL_-_NEW_MODEL_31249.html

Is it on par with Swarowski and Leica? Does it work well with spectacles?

Peter Ericsson

Hi, Peter, I've had this model for almost a year and have compared them to the Euro glass at different points. Their very best feature, easily, is the eye relief. I wear glasses and find them very comfortable, without eye strain, all day. At 367', their spec'd field of view is less than than Zeiss (405') thru Swarovski (390'), but with the much better eye relief on the Nikon, the effective FOV is comparable.

As far as resolution, a good sample of Nikon is excellent, though perhaps a thin shade less than the Ziess or Leica. I can't say for sure about the Swarovski, which would personally be my last choice among the Euro glass. Contrast seems more a matter of taste. The Nikon contrast is very good, with perhaps a slight color emphasis toward yellow/green.

The Nikon build quality that I have seen is excellent. Though, their new, enviro friendly rubber armoring may not be as hard or robust as their previous models, and more more susceptible to scuffing. We'll see how the armor holds up over the years.

As far as pricing, you should contact Eagle Optics for their Nikon quote before you buy. Also Eagle has as 30 day return policy and excellent customer service. Leica and Zeiss are enough more costly that I would not have second thoughts about the Nikons, but Eagle Optic's price on the Zeiss FL 8x42 is just a bit more. The Nikons are more prone to chromatic aberration (color fringing) than the Zeiss, and the Zeiss are comfortably lighter. You might want to check the Zeiss threads out. As with all bins, some love 'em, some love to diss them. YMMV.

Good luck,

Bradley

Thank you Matt and Bradley for your responses. I have yet to check these bins out myself as I live in Thailand and to my knowledge they are not available here.
As usual with larger investments (atleast for me) I take my time till I am sure what I really want.

Do the new, lighter Nikons have a similar space-age plastic chassis as the current Zeiss, or do they continue to make metal alloy frames for their LXL binoculars?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back