• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mautby, Stokesby, Runham (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Anyone birding in that area ?

i use that road quite often on my bike and to be honest i'm generally just casually looking about (though with bins at the ready !) but even so, off the top of my head i can think of 8 sp. raptors, 4 sp. owls and loads more 'everyday' stuff like redwings fieldfares, terns, finches etc

And this mornings Kingfisher got me to thinking that it has to be a fantastic local patch for anyone living out that way

But i've never seen anyone with bin's or scope there...

Karl J said:
Anyone birding in that area ?

i use that road quite often on my bike and to be honest i'm generally just casually looking about (though with bins at the ready !) but even so, off the top of my head i can think of 8 sp. raptors, 4 sp. owls and loads more 'everyday' stuff like redwings fieldfares, terns, finches etc

And this mornings Kingfisher got me to thinking that it has to be a fantastic local patch for anyone living out that way

But i've never seen anyone with bin's or scope there...
It's very close to my parents' place, and I'm up there often enough...

... but I've never been out there birding (or for anything else, as far I as can recall!).

I guess the levels near Stokesby ought to be just as good as the south side of the river from Halvergate towards Berney (though that's not watched much either).

Just looked up Birdguides reports over the last 2 years in the area, there aren't many but some pretty good ones from Runham ... Honey buzzard, montys, Snow Bunting, Wryneck ... so someone else must go out there

Nothing comes up as Stokesby though which is surprising

I have wondered if the Stokesby marshes are a sort of throughway between Halvergate & the upper broads, which that little road from the village to the A1064 happens to cut right across

Came that way today. Lovely ride in the sunshine, light tailwind etc. Didn't actually stop anywhere though as it was after work and i wanted to get home

Of most note today

2 Kestrels
12 Fieldfare
14 Curlew flying over
c.4 Longtailed Tits

Map of the area here

Last edited:
4 kestrels and a few Fieldfare across Stokesby marshes this morning
And a male Hen Harrier near Runham - not bad at all

Came that way home early this afternoon - possibly the first signs of spring just around the corner with the Jackdaws noisily chasing each other about & a good number of singing Robins.

43 Egyptian Geese in a flock near Runham plus a few seperate pairs
6 Pied Wagtails on Stokesby river front,
3 Yellowhammers in a newly ploughed field
3 Longtailed Tits in a bush and c.10 Goldfinch on a clump of dead sunflower near by the church
1 Kestrel on Stokesby marshes
total of 4 Jays along the way

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back