• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digi-bins (1 Viewer)

LMG

I haven't got a scope, so tried taking a shot of a buck through my binoculars. This was the result. It was on full zoom on the camera. It was difficult to keep the bins and camera still, until I tried resting the bins on the top of a chair back! It was also taken through a window. Most of my shots are taken through windows. Any hints on getting rid of reflections, a problem I often have?

Attachments

• buck6.jpg
    buck6.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 345
LMG,

First let me say that for holding it up to your bins, no tripod, you did fabulous. Just amazing really. The photo is on the fuzzy side, but I do not know how you (or anyone else) could have done any better with the way you took the photo. The colors are very nice overall. In regards to the reflection, I have read that the best way to deal with this, barring spending money for a certain attachment, is to hold it right up to the window. With the reflection that is right below the deer, you can easily clone that out.

You do not mention which camera you have, but if the camera has the capability I would suggest a shallower depth of field. That way, instead of the antlers "going in" to the vegetation above them, it will be more defining.

Thanks for showing this.

Brian

Composition wise LMG it's quite a nice shot.

Technically wise it's not too good. Generally everything looks to be in focus as such, but I have a feeling that camera shake may be the cause.

A couple of things spring to mind.

One is that the chair back is certainly better than hand holding as it at least gives a bit more stability to the binoculars. You can actually buy an inexpensive binocular mount for a tripod. Try giving your local Jessops a ring as they certainly used to sell them, but it's a while since I get mine. Of course you need a tripod too !

Secondly whether it be using a telescope or binoculars, it's vitally important that the camera and binoculars be lined up perfectly and be as close together as possible to reduce vignetting and distortion. An adaptor of some sort is best for this, to screw into your camera filter thread, if it has one and fit over the end of the binocular eyepiece. A couple of DIY ones get mentioned in this thread

Finally as regards the reflections. I also take shots through windows quite often, double glazed at that. The best way to minimise reflections is to get the camera as close to the glass as you can. That way the camera focusing system is too close to the glass for it to react to it, so the camera locks on the subject outside. It also helps if you can darken the room in some way or if not, then darken the area around the camera behind you. A bit like the black cloth the early photographers used to use over their heads. That should reduce reflections too.

I am amazed that you got a picture as good as the one you got, considering how you got it!
I would have said that it was impossible to get anything at all!
The picture is very soft on my monitor and also the green is very dominating and could possibly be toned down a bit in a photo-editing program. You might also be able to selectively sharpen the deer and leave the greenery alone which would make it stand out a bit better.
I agree totally with the others that a tripod of some sort is a must if you are going to continue shooting with this set-up.
I frequently shoot through double glazing, windows must be very clean!, and although not ideal, one can get good quality pictures nevertheless.
I think the softness must have been camera/bins shake.
Rating: 1

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back