• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Screeching animal - what could it be..... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Lying in bed last night and heard screeching/screaming noises coming from down the field, sounded very animal like to me, thinking maybe fox or badger???? Definitely not the owls.... any thoughts anyone???

El Annie

screeching

definately foxes annie.

mind you I had an old girlfriend who wailed like a banshee, is there a lovers lane near you?

I agree with the above, it is certainly the case that Tawney Owls have quite a vocabulary and some of it does not sound so pretty!
Very likely to be a vixen or even a cat though.

The first time I ever hear a fox 'bark', it gave me goosebumps! It was at midnight in the summer and I had just gone to bed but the window was open. The fox was in my neighbor's yard screaming for all it was worth. A very eerie sound especially at night!

Screeching Animal....

while we do have a local fox and her pups running around the fileds and adjacent woods, I heard screeching minutes ago (2am) - just out side on the edge of our yard - at the wood's edge - ran to get my spotlight - shined on what looked like (at 80yds) 2 weasel like animals ( 4 green/yellow eyes staring back at me) one ducked behind a rise and then as I scanned the woods with my spot, another had climbed 50ft into a tree!!!!!!!! Wasn't familiar with tree climbing foxes....

...nor rabbits...but I have heard of "killer rabbits..." lol

So bring on the replies...

London Birder said:
fox ... they have some real bloodcurdling vocalisations

Nothing's impossible I suppose, but vixens usually only scream during the mating season between December - February to let the dog fox know what's on her mind!

BTW, young foxes are known as cubs. And where did 2004 and 2005 go to on this thread?

out this morning in the dark,for the past two weeks past the same spot
heard the same eerie screaching sound thought it was owls but the sound
seem to be coming from the ground,it was driving me nuts not knowing
what it was and then this morning saw the culprit,a fox ive heard a fox
call before but its the first time i have heard that type of call before,it must
have had young in the field.

I went to fill my feeders in a local wood the other week and spooked a vixen.She ran off screeching as she went.This was in broad daylight so I assume she was calling a warning to her cubs to get underground.

hi anne

I would say it was a fox. It is true what has been said about the errie noises. Foxes make them at night for some reason (why not during the day - I wonder!!)

I stayed in the middle of a wood in my last house, and the noise was very apparent, every night along with local Barn Owls and the Tawny Owl doing their thing too.

I shone a torch in a foxes eyes one might and they glowed in the dark. I nearly passed out. It was really creepy!!.

Maybe they are calling for their mates and their young, after all as you have just said Mike :t:

Peewit

Good-day to everybody.
Although it's difficult to explain the sound of a call / cry.
I would suggest that the original screeching/screaming sound
that was heard, by EL Annie, was two hedgehogs mateing!

( Come to think of it, I think I would scream!!!!)

Kind regards,
young Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back