• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 10x40b - Waterproof? (1 Viewer)

jonathanbarnaby

I keep reading mixed messages abouit the waterproofness of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40b's (1988). I've been using these , well since 1988, but I am hesitant to take them on tropical forest expeditions and take some Pentax DFC SP's instead (these have always been fine until stolen!). What do people think about taking Zeiss into testing tropical conditions?

Never had any problems with mine and they have certainly got very wet but I switched to Swarovski 8.5 better for my eyes. My problem was foggy glasses not fogging binocs in steamy conditions.

jonathanbarnaby said:
I keep reading mixed messages abouit the waterproofness of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40b's (1988). I've been using these , well since 1988, but I am hesitant to take them on tropical forest expeditions and take some Pentax DFC SP's instead (these have always been fine until stolen!). What do people think about taking Zeiss into testing tropical conditions?

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take the Zeiss 10x40's anywhere at any time. They're not nitrogen purged, but are o-ring sealed. Do a search on Zeiss homepage and you'll find they guarantee all of their binos to be completely fog and waterproof.

I'll bet there's no other binocular that has been used in more harsh climates over the years than the Zeiss 10x40 "ClassiC's". They've earned a reputation from Africa to Alaska and all points in between as being tough and waterproof, and eventhough they're a bit dated design, they're still the glass all others are judged against....

Thanks for this, it gives me confidence. If I decide to "risk" them being stolen . . they will be going to northern Finland in -30oC in March then a few months later to Amazonia, so this should really test them out. They are superb to use, I wouldn't swap them for anything else.

jonathanbarnaby said:

I think you need to ask, Tim Allwood. Tim has been in some very damp places and he will advise further, I'm sure.

Tim is a techer so he gets lots of time off and will answer shortly...only joking Tim.... :hi:

John.

I've used my Zeiss 10x40s (purchased in 1990) in Ghana (four trips), Southern Mexico and Ecuador (including tropical forest). Absolutely no problem. I've used them in cold conditions in Finland too with no problem.

David Chandler

Hi,i have had my 10x40BGAT since 1990,they have been used in all conditions,been soaked etc,with no problems at all,

Rob.

Having once been a Zeiss owner for 15 years I find it difficult to accept that they are indeed waterproof, given that the objective lenses actually move in and out when focusing.

Mark

Deja-vu said:
Having once been a Zeiss owner for 15 years I find it difficult to accept that they are indeed waterproof, given that the objective lenses actually move in and out when focusing.

Mark
Apparently there are 2 different types of Zeiss Classics. The 7x42 has a conventional bridge type external focus mechanism which would require o-rings and at best might be water resistant. However, both the 10x40 and 8x30 Classics have internal focusing so they should offer a higher degree of waterproofing. I wonder if anyone can explain this difference in designs?

Apparently even a moving eyepiece focusing system like the one in the 7x42 and 8x56 Classics can be made completely submersible. At least Swarovski make that claim for the Habicht porros.

The 8x30 and 10x40 Classics don't have true internal focusing. The objective lens slides back and forth in its barrel. Some binoculars that use this focusing system like the Swarovski 8x30 SLC and the Canon 10x42 LS use a stationary flat glass plate in front of the moving objective to completely seal the binocular.

Last edited:
angelo225544 said:
Apparently there are 2 different types of Zeiss Classics. The 7x42 has a conventional bridge type external focus mechanism which would require o-rings and at best might be water resistant. However, both the 10x40 and 8x30 Classics have internal focusing so they should offer a higher degree of waterproofing. I wonder if anyone can explain this difference in designs?

Whilst the focussing might be internal it is infact the objective lenses that actually move in and out. I didn't realise this when I bought my 10X40 BGAT's some 15 years ago until someone told me. Turn them upside down move the focussing wheel and watch those objectives move in and out.

Mark

henry link said:
Apparently even a moving eyepiece focusing system like the one in the 7x42 and 8x56 Classics can be made completely submersible. At least Swarovski make that claim for the Habicht porros.

The 8x30 and 10x40 Classics don't have true internal focusing. The objective lens slides back and forth in its barrel. Some binoculars that use this focusing system like the Swarovski 8x30 SLC and the Canon 10x42 LS use a stationary flat glass plate in front of the moving objective to completely seal the binocular.
WOW!!! Thank you for pointing that out. Sure enough the objective lenses move within their tubes when I focus. I had assumed that since the occulars weren't moving that the focus mechanism must be internal. Moving the objectives makes perfect sense as this is how most camera lenses are focused. By the way, I'm liking these 10x40 Classics more and more each time I use them. They are wonderfully light and have a nice wide FOV for a 10x - not to mention that at $750 new from Cabela's they're a STEAL!

The 10x40 BGA can be used in the rain (even heavy rain) and you can use them in humid conditions, should they get wet, then simply stand them on their objectives and let them dry naturally (do not let them dry in their case or in a false environment). If using them at altitude, I would suggest the following:
Before leaving sea level (ascending), move the central focusing wheel to minus side as far round as it will go (the objective lenses will be retracted inwards).
When on top of the mountain (aircraft - maximum flying altitude) try setting the glass to your normal eyesight, it would help speed up the process of de-pressurisation. If it does not work immediately please do not use force against the pressure.
Returning to sea level (descending) move the central focusing control knob to the plus side to maximum extension. The objectives will move outwards almost to the rim of the objective glass. At sea level adjust to normal eyesight, if you meet resistance, do not use force against the pressure, but leave the glass to re-adjust.

Nitrogen filled goes hand in hand with waterproofing, however if the sealing is poor, then the gas will escape.

Last edited:
On their website Zeiss indicates that all of the ClassiCs are gauranteed WaterProof. This includes even the ClassiC compacts. A recent call to Zeiss Customer Service confirmed this.

I've had mine about 23 years. They been into rainforests on two trips with no problems. I've washed then under a tap quite a few times when they have been covered in sand with no ill effects. The only thing thats happened in 23 years is two sets of replaceement eye cups and the focus wheel has become really stiff. However I've never been 100% happy with them and am looking at getting some new Leica's. Anyone else done the same?

bob j davis said:
I've had mine about 23 years. They been into rainforests on two trips with no problems. I've washed then under a tap quite a few times when they have been covered in sand with no ill effects. The only thing thats happened in 23 years is two sets of replaceement eye cups and the focus wheel has become really stiff. However I've never been 100% happy with them and am looking at getting some new Leica's. Anyone else done the same?

I changed mine for Ultravids. I changed them because I just couldn't get on with the Zeiss and found that I got a lot of eye strain with them. They also suffered the sloppy hinge syndrome when they were about 5 years old, but that was put right under warranty.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back