• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tele- converter or Zoom (1 Viewer)

Trevor Lee

Hi Need some advice. New to Digital photography and have Nikon D70 with 18-70 mm lense. Also have Sigma 70-300 d DG apo lens. Really want to get better photos and have no problem geting close to birds, but results appear a bit poor at moment. Hoping to be in funds to upgrade to another lens from sale of shed load of climbing gear so should be able to afford about £250, to £350 poss £400. Problem is do i by a teleconverter to increase what I have or go for another zoom lens, and if so can anyone suggest possibles? Would appreciate any advise as I wish to purchase something in the New Year, sales permitting. Look forward to reciving any suggestions.

Trevor Lee said:
Hi Need some advice. New to Digital photography and have Nikon D70 with 18-70 mm lense. Also have Sigma 70-300 d DG apo lens. Really want to get better photos and have no problem geting close to birds, but results appear a bit poor at moment. Hoping to be in funds to upgrade to another lens from sale of shed load of climbing gear so should be able to afford about £250, to £350 poss £400. Problem is do i by a teleconverter to increase what I have or go for another zoom lens, and if so can anyone suggest possibles? Would appreciate any advise as I wish to purchase something in the New Year, sales permitting. Look forward to reciving any suggestions.

I have the Nikon and both those lenses and get great results like this Laughing gull - I found using the 70-300 a bit problematic as it weighs so little but after lots of practice and taking advantage of walls and hedges for support I get on fine now.
I often switch it to macro mode for getting really close to birds.

I also have a Sigma 170-500 which is one of the cheapest long lenses you can buy - got it as a refurb from Warehousexpress for £300.
This NOT small and light, really needs a tripod but can be handheld - good results but only good for tens of metres - beyond that is digiscoping.

I have no experience of converters but if you get one don't buy Sigma or Nikon as they either won't fit or won't meter - Tamnron or Kenko seem popular with mix & match cameras & lenses, converters are really at their best with prime lenses too.

Attachments

• laughing gull.jpg
    laughing gull.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 150
Thanks chris, your suggeastion re the switch to macro is interesting, I will give it try. The sigma 170-500 sounds OK and as i use a tripod I shouldnt have any probs with weight. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi Trevor
I went through exactly the same thought process earlier this year. The results with the 18-70 were good when the bird was perched on the end of the lens but not too many obliging birds came along.
The Sigma 70-300 APO is "ok" and can produce pleasing results but comparing its results (see my gallery) with the results of proper photographers with more expensive kit left me feeling less than fulfilled. (Andy Bright has a lot to answer for, I blame my failing marriage and lack of money entirely on him.)
The Kenco 1.4 teleconverter is hard to fault and my current thinking links this to a Nikon 300mm prime lens as being the best quality against value for money solution. Please don't bid against me on e-bay though.

mike hawley said:
Hi Trevor
I went through exactly the same thought process earlier this year. The results with the 18-70 were good when the bird was perched on the end of the lens but not too many obliging birds came along.
The Sigma 70-300 APO is "ok" and can produce pleasing results but comparing its results (see my gallery) with the results of proper photographers with more expensive kit left me feeling less than fulfilled. (Andy Bright has a lot to answer for, I blame my failing marriage and lack of money entirely on him.)
The Kenco 1.4 teleconverter is hard to fault and my current thinking links this to a Nikon 300mm prime lens as being the best quality against value for money solution. Please don't bid against me on e-bay though.

Hi Mike thanks for your comments. It is a prob as I really want to get out and get close to wildlife and get some more than passable shots. Your comments on the Kenko is helpful and will probably go for that. However the nikkon 300mm prime sounds the best way forward for really good photographs. Thanks for your help!
Trevor

Trevor Lee said:
Hi Mike thanks for your comments. It is a prob as I really want to get out and get close to wildlife and get some more than passable shots. Your comments on the Kenko is helpful and will probably go for that. However the nikkon 300mm prime sounds the best way forward for really good photographs. Thanks for your help!
Trevor

I went for that option- Nikon 300mm prime bought second hand + a 1.7 teleconverter and this works very well for me. But from soundings I took and what I have seen out and about, the majority choice seems to be a zoom rather than a prime.

white-back said:
I went for that option- Nikon 300mm prime bought second hand + a 1.7 teleconverter and this works very well for me. But from soundings I took and what I have seen out and about, the majority choice seems to be a zoom rather than a prime.

Keep in mind though that the closest zoom that can beat the 300/4 AFS + a TC - quality wise, is the 200-400 AFS VR that costs an arm and a leg unless you go for a Sigma or another maker.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back