• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firsts for America (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I see from the Birdguides website that a Lesser Whitethroat has been seen in Alaska which they say is a first for America. This follows on from a Willow Warbler seen in recent weeks as another first (didn't say where in America that was). Makes a change for 'transatlantic vagrants' to 'go the other way'. Of course they may have come from the west, i.e. from Asia.

Colin

N American vagrants

Hi Colin,
Sorry, I'm a bit late with this reply, but had no internet access whilst in the UK last week. I came across some posts on Birdchat about the Willow Warbler (seen 25-26 Aug) and Lesser Whitethroat (seen 8 Sept), which were both found at Gambell, St. Lawrence Island, off the west coast of Alaska. If my geography is correct, Gambell and Attu (Aleutians) are the most westerly points in the USA, and it is thought that Eurasian vagrants here have come across from the west.

Here are snips from the 2 posts with more details:

........Paul Lehman et al. found a Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus)at Gambell, St. Lawrence Island, Alaska (25-26
Aug. 2002). Originally identified as a Chiffchaff (P. collybita) but after reviewing video-tape and consulting with other birders and reference materials the bird was identified. This is a first for North America (although a specimen from Pt. Barrow Alaska was thought to be this species that was collected on 11 June 1968, was re-examined and turned out to be an Arctic Warbler (P. borealis).

........Paul Lehman's breathless phone calls are getting routine! He phoned this evening (8 Sept) with word of North America's first LESSER WHITETHROAT, a stunning bird at Gambell that followed a brief lull in the incredible fall birding there this year. The nearest nesters are perhaps at Lake Baikal; there are a few records from Japan. This rather eclipses his first North American WILLOW WARBLER of last week. The weather system that brought in the bird produced gentle westerlies, followed by a strong SW wind with moderate rain; the wind kicked up to about 20 knots, with 2 hours of fairly hard rain. Anticipation was high when he began birding that morning. The previous week had held Wilson's Warbler, a _flava_ Horned Lark, Mongolian Plover, etc. Seawatching was spectacular, with 600,000 Short-tailed Shearwaters, 60 Pomarine Jaegers, 14 Spectacled Eiders, a
Bean Goose (great fall record). This past day had not only the Lesser Whitethroat but a *new* Dusky Warbler, a *new* Siberian Accentor (both seen already this fall), new Gray-cheeked Thrush, Red-throated Pipits, Bluethroats, etc.
Please someone post this to other friends and to any listserv groups. Paul is without email access for several more days and wants to get the word out!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back