• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pf 65ED or pf 80ED....dilemma (1 Viewer)

Aap

Hi all. I've been reading these forums for a while now and found the information I've found very valuable.

Currently I'm using a Apex 102 scope with a BAADER adapter and Canon A95 for digiscoping. This works reasonably well, but it is a bit cumbersome to walk around with the Apex 102.

I'm planning to buy a 65ED or 80ED because I can use my 1,25"eyepieces with them. I'm now trying to decided if i should buy a 65ED or a 80ED. I've read several reviews about both scopes and both scopes seem to be of good quality allthough the 80ED is getting some mixed reviews.

Weight or price isn't very important to me. Ease of use is important.
My concern with the 65ED is if it is suitable for digiscoping and I wonder if the A95 and BAADER adapter aren't too heavy for it. I wouldn't like an instable setup.

Any thoughts or advise on this matter is appreciated especially if you are an Pentax digiscoper...

Last edited:
i,m not a digiscoper[yet] but do have both the 65 &80 pfed,s.both are exellent scopes but if weight is no problem get the 80mm .it definately to my eyes anyway is the better of the 2.bigger really is better in this case.
brian.
ps i use the pentax xw & the superview from owl servises EP,s the superviews are a really good EP for about 10% of the cost.& much easier to tote around.size wise.
good luck with the choice.

I think the mixed reviews may be due to people who are not using top quality eyepieces on the scopes. This is the price Pentax pay for implementing a standard fitting (31.7mm). I use the Pentax XL eyepieces and also some high quality astronomical eyepieces by TeleVue (I'm an astronomer as much as I'm a birder) and the performance is hard to fault.

The 80ED(A) digiscopes well and I use a heavier camera than the A95. I started with the standard zoom which worked fine but have subsequently found greater flexibility and even better results with the XW20. This EP give about x26 on the 80ED (and would be slightly less on the 65. With any digiscoping you are always looking for more light so the 80 is always going to have an edge over the 65.

For results try a trawl of the gallery using Pentax as the search criteria in the equipment field. I'm certainly not the only one using one and posting on this site.

Check out BVD (Better View Desired) website, he is very excited about the 65 and has it all set up to digiscope.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

So the 80ED seems to be the scope of choice because of the brighter picture in dim light situations..

The 65ED is a newer scope but it's not clear to me if it's just a smaller version of the 80ED or are there some improvements??

@ Nigel G, I did see your pics and they are very nice. I really liked the Stonechat picture and the beach pictures with the crabs. The 80ED is clearly suitable for digiscoping. One thing I noticed was that the pictures of someone called mmdnje are a bit brighter/sharper. Is that because of picture editing? At what range do you usually take pictures and with which ISO setting?

Last edited:
Aap said:
One thing I noticed was that the pictures of someone called mmdnje are a bit brighter/sharper. Is that because of picture editing? At what range do you usually take pictures and with which ISO setting?

Hi Aap

Mmdnje is probably just that bit better than me. We are both using the same scope and eyepiece but different cameras. Recently I have been shooting RAW but am still very much on the learning curve for processing and have been slightly disappointed with the resulting post compression .jpg compared with the original. This particularly applied to the 2 recent beach shots and it was also quite a dull winter day. That said I think I've worked out what I was doing wrong and these finals are probably better than those posted in the gallery.

Attachments

• Crab Supper2.jpg
    Crab Supper2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 564
  • Beach raiders2.jpg
    Beach raiders2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 423
Today i ordered the 80ED. Thanks for helping me choose.

Nigel, your pics are definetly better now. They look more lively and sharper. Good job.

Pentax scope

I just found this posts. I was out of reach during the time they were posted. I hope all of you are enjoying your Pentax scopes. Let me know if you have any questions. Nigel G: if it weren't for you I would have never got the XW20. I love it. Jose

80 vs. 65

I originally ordered the 65 but returned it and got the 80. The 65 had a bubble in the objecive lens. Quality control issues. I was also using the XW 10 which was too sensitive for the 65. Now I have the 80 with the XW 14. I am very happy. This combo has a bright detailed picture and I am excited to try it digiscoping. Yes the 80 is heavier, but I think I'm willing to try carrying the extra weight for a better picture.

bobcat, what specifically are you referring to when you say "too sensitive"? I've recently purchased the PF-65 ED and have considered adding one of the XW eyepieces.
Thanks...

bobcat said:
I originally ordered the 65 but returned it and got the 80. The 65 had a bubble in the objecive lens. Quality control issues. I was also using the XW 10 which was too sensitive for the 65.

The sweet spot was very hard to find and keep in focus.

Larry Usselman said:
bobcat, what specifically are you referring to when you say "too sensitive"? I've recently purchased the PF-65 ED and have considered adding one of the XW eyepieces.
Thanks...

Hello everyone,
I'm a new digiscoper and new in this forum too. I owned a 8400 and pentax pf 80 ed with 20-60 zoom. I attached them with a hand made adapter using ur-e15 and its very stable. My main problem is, couldn't get razor sharp images even it looks sharp enough from the EVF. I've tried all the metering modes and all ISO settings. Despite the speed is enough (1/250 or 1/500) and used remote control the images are very soft not sharp.
Then I've tried something different. First I focused an object with direct looking and take a shot without touching to the focus knob. The result was awful. I was used previously an apo-televid 77 (from a friend) and finepix 3800 with a hand made adapter and get razor sharp images. I couldn't find the problem, is it the eyepiece or the scope or the settings of my camera??
Any advice?

bilgeo said:
Hello everyone,
I'm a new digiscoper and new in this forum too. I owned a 8400 and pentax pf 80 ed with 20-60 zoom. I attached them with a hand made adapter using ur-e15 and its very stable. My main problem is, couldn't get razor sharp images even it looks sharp enough from the EVF. I've tried all the metering modes and all ISO settings. Despite the speed is enough (1/250 or 1/500) and used remote control the images are very soft not sharp.
Then I've tried something different. First I focused an object with direct looking and take a shot without touching to the focus knob. The result was awful. I was used previously an apo-televid 77 (from a friend) and finepix 3800 with a hand made adapter and get razor sharp images. I couldn't find the problem, is it the eyepiece or the scope or the settings of my camera??
Any advice?

Take a look at this link: http://www.birddigiscoping.com/2006_04_01_archive.html and find the topic on "Hope for the Coolpix 8400". He describes how he had a similar focus issue and how he solved it.

Not that I have much to say on digiscoping, I only have a couple of ducks and a BIG birds, an eagle at distance, but the 65mm scope will work with up to 12mm eye pieces. Smaller than that is pushing it, though I willl use a zoom at 49x...which I thinks is at 8mm, but it is then really pushing it in dim light just to scope, let alone digiscope.

The 65mm is a good size for air travel, carry on.

Agreed with Tero. I tried the PF65ED with an 8mm EP, and it was a pretty yucky view (I think that is the technical term for it). Dim, hazy and did not appear too sharp either.

The 13mm EP (== 30x) is the sweet spot on this scope.

Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back