• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

adjustment of 3130? (1 Viewer)

Godana

I just purchased a Bogen 3130 head. It has a safety lever that causes a pin to protrude preventing the quick release lever from being moved to the release position. At least, that's how it's supposed to work. The problem is that the quick release lever can be moved quite a bit before hitting the safety pin. Not enough so that the "peg" under the plate pops up, but just enough that the plate can slip out. Not much of a "safety" device. I took it to a local camera shop - they didn't have the same , but one very similar and it appears the cam mechanism isn't rotated exactly quite right. They said it was defective and to return it.

I'm wondering if there is some adjustment that's needed. There is a silver hex screw that runs through the center of the cam that holds the plate in place - would loosening that allow re-positioning of the cam?

If anyone has run into this, please let me know. In all that I read about the 3130, I never read that this was a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Godana,
The thumb lever is exactly opposite the flat face of the cam on mine. Is that how yours is? This is how it came from the factory to me, and it works.
It can be turned a bit before it is caught by the safety lever. But, my plate just loosens, it doesnt come out. I suppose your theory is right that you could loosen the central screw and reseat the lever a little further over. I don't know for sure. Engineered things have a tendency to be more complicated than I had first supposed. Don't know if its your experience too.
Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Marc

Probably you should take the advice of the store and return it, before attempting your own repairs. It does sound defective, or at least, mal-assembled at the factory.
Marc

jedku said:
Probably you should take the advice of the store and return it, before attempting your own repairs. It does sound defective, or at least, mal-assembled at the factory.
Marc

I spoke with Eagle Optics. After discussing it, I tried loosening the screw, with no effect, so we agreed that I should return it and get a replacement.

On the positive side, the new scope is everything I hoped. Fantastic views. Even at 75X the view is quite usable, though I spent most of my time at 25X. Even though the head had this one issue, I really liked it. Very smooth panning.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Last edited:
I have the Manfrotto 128RC which is the same model as the Bogen 3130. The only adjustment I occasionally (once a year) have to do is to tighten the the hexagonal screw very slightly using the hexagonal key that came with it.

Your problem sounds very similar to what happens with mine. The lever and cam feel loose and the plate not held tight. Once tightened everything becomes firm.

Regardless if the shop has judged it defective then may be there is a problem after all.

jedku said:
Godana,
The thumb lever is exactly opposite the flat face of the cam on mine. Is that how yours is? This is how it came from the factory to me, and it works.
It can be turned a bit before it is caught by the safety lever. But, my plate just loosens, it doesnt come out. I suppose your theory is right that you could loosen the central screw and reseat the lever a little further over. I don't know for sure. Engineered things have a tendency to be more complicated than I had first supposed. Don't know if its your experience too.
Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Marc

Well, I just received a replacement from Eagle Optics, and it has exactly the same problem! I'm very frustrated! The plate pops out easily even with the safety lever engaged. Adjusting the hex screw does help, but no matter how hard I tighten the screw, it won't hold - the quick release lever always slips to a position that allows too much play.

I don't know what to do now. Try again for a replacement that works, or look for an alternative head. It seems nobody else is having this problem, and the 3130 has a great reputation. Hence, my frustration. :C

Godana said:
.... the quick release lever always slips to a position that allows too much play.
Are you certain this is not the old problem of the quick release plate being inserted the wrong way? There is a front and a back to the plate, and if put in the 3130 backwards it will have unacceptable play.

royharv said:
Are you certain this is not the old problem of the quick release plate being inserted the wrong way? There is a front and a back to the plate, and if put in the 3130 backwards it will have unacceptable play.

Unfortunately, that is not the problem. I went to a local camera store today and looked at the 3433 head. It's heavier than what I really need, but looks pretty good. They are going to order a 3130 for me and I'll give it one more try. If I still can't get a good 3130, then I might have to go with the 3433. Also considering the light-duty 700RC2, but might not be strong enough for a FSIII 82mm scope.

According to this posting in another area of the Forum:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=489829#post489829

"...I found a squence if the little lever was already in the safety position when the plate was clicked into position the release arm is not locked."

I'm wondering if this might be causing your problem. Sounds like you have to have the safety lever OFF the lock postion when you insert the plate. Then you move the lever to the safety position after the plate is seated. Just a thought.

See reply I made in that thread. But to summarize, you shouldn't be able to complete that sequence if the safety mechanism is working properly.

Source of problem identified

Eagle Optics called me. They said that since I returned the 3130 they have received numerous complaints identical to mine regarding the safety mechanism. They have discovered that they received a bad batch of heads from Bogen, which Bogen has confirmed. So, if you're having this problem - take heart, it's not your imagination! Return it for a replacement. --Karl

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back