• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally did it (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I am now the new owner of a Nikon D50 and am waiting rather impatiently for the battery to charge. Took me a 1/2 hour to get the freaking camera strap on straight. Hoping it will be a genuine, delightful learning experience with my first venture into DSLR.

Edit: Okay, first one out of the box ;)

Attachments

• 122305chippingsparrow1.d.jpg
    122305chippingsparrow1.d.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 180
Treated yourself to an early Christmas present KC. :t:

As John N has said, don't forget to post your first pics here. In this thread would be a good start so those that have subscribed to the thread will get an early warning to them.

Good luck with your new toy. lol

LOL, Yes I did and spent a lot more than originally planned. I figured since I received notice from my credit card company that they had increased my limit, that it was a sign that I should by this camera ;) I went ahead and added the shot to my first post here. I literally put the battery in and took this shot but I have loads to learn about the mechanics of the camera. No rush though. ;)

Wow, what a great shot and in such nice light! Looks like you're off to an auspicious start, KC. Can't wait to see more!!!

Um, since I'm sure you'll no longer need your scope, I have a suggestion... ;) ;) ;)

KCFoggin said:
LOL, Yes I did and spent a lot more than originally planned. I figured since I received notice from my credit card company that they had increased my limit, that it was a sign that I should by this camera ;) I went ahead and added the shot to my first post here. I literally put the battery in and took this shot but I have loads to learn about the mechanics of the camera. No rush though. ;)

Haha - photography can be a bottomless money pit.
I shoot using custom curves and tweaks to the standard settings but if I were you I'd carry on as you are until you find a good reason to complicate things.
With birding there is always a problem getting close which is usually resolved by spending large amounts on long lenses - occasionally in a back yard environment this can be avoided by siting the camera close to the birds and operating it with a Nikon remote control

I was just reading about the remote control and I think I will go for that accessory. Hey, I was a happy camper when I figured out sequential shooting tonight ;)

Glad to hear you upgraded to a DSLR! I'm sure your results will turn out to be much better than any you can get with Digiscoping.

Are you using a Sigma 70-300? If so, do you stop it down to f8?
I found that the results from my 70-300 are vastly improved by stopping it down to f8.

Hi Tyler.

I know my capablilities of catching the elusive birds of Fall will be greatly improved as I finally nailed the Ruby-crowned Kinglet that has been here for a few weeks. Just could never be fast enough with digiscoping.

This 70-300 is basically on loan for a week or so to see if I like it and to see if I could handle it with minimum shake. It is a Quantaray. It has AF and seems extremely responsive but I might be able to pick up the Nikon 70-300 used but in extremely good condition for 200.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back