• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 701RC2 (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
Been using a photographic 3 way head with my scope - very frustrating.
The 701 is a delight - smooth fingertip control and I can put the DSLR on, slide the adjustment plate and take photos.

Great value for money with a few reservations...
QR plate only fits one way.
I see problems with very out of balance scopes - there's not enough adjustment in the sliding plate to cope - I don't have that as I use a very light scope and my camera lens has a tripod collar for balance.

Chris Oates said:
The 701 is a delight - smooth fingertip control and I can put the DSLR on, slide the adjustment plate and take photos.

I see problems with very out of balance scopes - there's not enough adjustment in the sliding plate to cope - I don't have that as I use a very light scope and my camera lens has a tripod collar for balance.
Mine arrived today along with it's 190V tripod - and I'm impressed too. Much smoother than the old photo tripod & head I was using. I have an old Opticron HR80 which is quite heavy but with the plate at the end of it's forward travel everything balances well.
I ordered mine from Morris Photo in Oxford - good customer service.
Looking forward to going out tomorrow.

Chris Oates said:

A New Year's present to myself of a 701 head with a Velbron Sherpa Pro CF630 carbon fibre tripod. A good combination in my opinion. Chose the 701 in preference to the 501 because of nearly twice the weight of the latter.So far I have been most impressed. I am waiting impatiently for the arrival of my Sigma 170-500mm DG lens.

An interesting comment in the Velbron operating manual.'If the weight of camera is far more than twice as heavy as tripod avoid using the tripod. Stability won't be enough and camera shake may occur and, the tripod may fail'.

Unfortunately the manual doesn't define 'far more', nor does it say whether the weight of the head is added to the weight of the camera, or to the weight of the tripod, or is ignored. I will be sending an e-mail to Velbron to clarify this.

Last edited:
baillieswells said:
Unfortunately the manual doesn't define 'far more'.

I use a Sherpa/701RC2 with a D70 & Sigma 170-500 and then hang the rest of my possessions off the stone bag hook - no ill effects.

I also, use the Velbon CF631EL with a Leica APO77 on a 701RC2 head and that works perfectly for me great combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back