• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP ! Fish ID (1 Viewer)

kas

While out on the beach today, spotted a Blackback eating something.
It was a live fish, but what fish I have no idea.
Photos attatched and it was about 8 inches long.

Any fish experts be able to help me out? If so Many Thanks.

The poor thing was being eaten alive.

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 142
  • blinky.jpg
    blinky.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Blinky 2.jpg
    Blinky 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 156
kas said:
While out on the beach today, spotted a Blackback eating something.
It was a live fish, but what fish I have no idea.
Photos attatched and it was about 8 inches long.

Any fish experts be able to help me out? If so Many Thanks.

The poor thing was being eaten alive.

Not an expert by any means, but I think it might be a male Lumpsucker Kas. Normally they're a blue/green colour, but the males turn red during the breeding season.

saluki

Thanks

Thanks 8-P saluki, you are star :clap: . I just got the same reply from a female angler. So thats it confirmed. Heres us thinking we had some rare species 3:) . I havent heard of it before.

Cheers B :) B :)

Extremely popular with otter's these fish,much sought after on the West coast - hi to Thurso, i've left her for Orkney many times!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back