• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi after the snow!! (1 Viewer)

black52bird

Just out in the park this morning after 2 days of rain had relieved us of most of the snow, and the first sun for about 10 days appeared, and was amazed to find a huge colony of the enclosed fungus stretched along a shrubbery and in the adjacent grass, growing in clumps on twigs and other wood debris.

Initially I wondered if it might be Galerina (Pholiota) mutabilis, but it dried from the outside the the centre, and doesn't really seem to have enough scales on the flattish stipe. I am rather leaning towards Tubaria furfuracea at present.

The caps are 3.5 cm across and the stipe is about 4 cm long in a fully grown specimen.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Best

David

Attachments

• 060701 Varosmajor 01 01.JPG
    060701 Varosmajor 01 01.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 060701 Varosmajor 01 05.JPG
    060701 Varosmajor 01 05.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 060701 Varosmajor 01 09.JPG
    060701 Varosmajor 01 09.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 114
  • 060701 Varosmajor 01 11.JPG
    060701 Varosmajor 01 11.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 135
black52bird said:
Just out in the park this morning after 2 days of rain had relieved us of most of the snow, and the first sun for about 10 days appeared, and was amazed to find a huge colony of the enclosed fungus stretched along a shrubbery and in the adjacent grass, growing in clumps on twigs and other wood debris.

Initially I wondered if it might be Galerina (Pholiota) mutabilis, but it dried from the outside the the centre, and doesn't really seem to have enough scales on the flattish stipe. I am rather leaning towards Tubaria furfuracea at present.

The caps are 3.5 cm across and the stipe is about 4 cm long in a fully grown specimen.

Anyone got any suggestions.

Best

David

Hi David,

As I post so often, examination of the spores can be vital. It would be so helpful to know if your fungus has thick-walled, ornamented. strongly coloured spores of the 'Galerina' type, or the very thin-walled, smooth spores, effectively colourless under the microscope, of the 'Tubaria' type.

Going on what we can see here, I agree it is not Kuehneromyces (or Galerina) mutabilis. As you say, the way the cap dries is quite wrong, despite the superficial resemblance to that species.

After some initial doubts, I think you are right that it is a Tubaria, though perhaps T. romagnesiana rather than T. furfuracea (though the two are certainly distinguishable only by measuring the spores). It is common as a winter fungus (at least here in the UK), sometimes appearing in the quantity shown in your photograph.

If microscopic examination is not possible, I suggest that you at least obtain a spore print. The spore-print of a Tubaria is buff, whereas spore-prints of Galerina, Kuehneromyces, Pholiota, Naucoria and related genera are rust to darker brown.

Alan

I'll check the spores

Silver said:
Hi David,

As I post so often, examination of the spores can be vital. It would be so helpful to know if your fungus has thick-walled, ornamented. strongly coloured spores of the 'Galerina' type, or the very thin-walled, smooth spores, effectively colourless under the microscope, of the 'Tubaria' type.

Going on what we can see here, I agree it is not Kuehneromyces (or Galerina) mutabilis. As you say, the way the cap dries is quite wrong, despite the superficial resemblance to that species.

After some initial doubts, I think you are right that it is a Tubaria, though perhaps T. romagnesiana rather than T. furfuracea (though the two are certainly distinguishable only by measuring the spores). It is common as a winter fungus (at least here in the UK), sometimes appearing in the quantity shown in your photograph.

If microscopic examination is not possible, I suggest that you at least obtain a spore print. The spore-print of a Tubaria is buff, whereas spore-prints of Galerina, Kuehneromyces, Pholiota, Naucoria and related genera are rust to darker brown.

Alan

Thanks very much for that, Alan.
I'll get out tomorrow and pick some more and get some spores to check - foolish of me to have not done so - I usually do, but in truth I had to dash to do something family-wise (my wife was sick), and I left them inside and they had dried up completely in a couple of hours. So back over the road for some more it is!!

I'll let you know the upshot.

Best

David

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back