• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Nova Scotia (1 Viewer)

mikeallen11 said:
Hi, I am planning a holiday in Nova Scotia in June. Any suggestions on good birding locations?

Here's a guide to birding sites in NS...

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/b_sites.htm

June is a bit between seasons- in late May still quite lot of warblers going through northbound (that's when I was there a few years ago) and by late July immense numbers of Semi-Ps at Evangeline Beach and six-figure concentrations Red-necked Phalaropes offshore.

If you are also into cetaceans, try trip from Brier Island out into the Bay of Fundy- best place in the world for ultra-rare Northern Right Whale plus should be Humpbacks and Fins. I guess it is a bit early in the summer, but hopefully should be some by then. Some Fins are certianly back by late May.

Thanks

white-back said:
Here's a guide to birding sites in NS...

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/b_sites.htm

June is a bit between seasons- in late May still quite lot of warblers going through northbound (that's when I was there a few years ago) and by late July immense numbers of Semi-Ps at Evangeline Beach and six-figure concentrations Red-necked Phalaropes offshore.

If you are also into cetaceans, try trip from Brier Island out into the Bay of Fundy- best place in the world for ultra-rare Northern Right Whale plus should be Humpbacks and Fins. I guess it is a bit early in the summer, but hopefully should be some by then. Some Fins are certianly back by late May.

Many thanks. The timing is a bit unfortunate but our trip is dictated by a wedding so we are stuck with June (good for brides if not for birders!)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back