• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards in Hemel Hempstead (1 Viewer)

coxy32

I've had regular sightings of Common Buzzards in my area- West Herts- since last year. I had never seen one around here before that. Anyone else noticed an increase?

Hi Coxy,

They're increasing and spreading everywhere in central and eastern England. The reason is a change in the law about 10 or 15 years ago, which made large landowners responsible for the illegal acts of their gamekeepers. Previously, if a gamekeeper shot a Buzzard illegally, only he could be prosecuted, but now the landowner can be prosecuted too.

The result was that most landowners instructed their gamekeepers to stop killing Buzzards the way they had been before, and Buzzards began to breed much more successfully.

The reason they stopped killing Buzzards, but haven't stopped killing Hen Harriers, is that in the eyes of these evil landowners, Buzzards are less 'damaging' than Hen Harriers. They are sadly still willing to risk prison to slaughter Hen Harriers. As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly where I think they should end up!

If the persecution of Hen Harriers stopped, we'd soon see them spreading as well . .that would be lovely. But at the moment, Hen Harriers need 24-hour armed SAS guards to breed successfully, and they still get shot the day after the young fledge and the army finish the guard.

Michael

Buzzards have definatly increased in the Bucks Herts area, a lot of which may also be down to the protection that has been given to the red kites released over the last few years, they seem to be increasing steadily behind them and are becomeing quite common.

funny you should say that, ive just sent a report to the herts bird recorder cos last Sunday 11th May at 12 noon i saw a Red Kite over Apsley (Hemel) i watched it soaring for a fair old while until it gained height and drifted off in a westerly direction. I was watching Kites last month in Tiddington Oxon but this is my first on my home patch. You've definitely got a point. How far east have they spread, anyone know the latest distribution details or when they're expected back in London!!?

Coxy

Well they are certainly pushing towards londons boundarys, the best place I know for Red Kite is the M40 below Oxford, they are everywhere. not sure about the eastward spread, they spread out more in winter so locations they are at now should be pretty close to thier boundarys!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back