• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sad end for an Italian wild cat (1 Viewer)

Touty

Hi all,

Today, coming back home with a friend after some survey work at lunchtime we'd just crossed the river Timavo near Trieste (NE Italy), just outside a large paper factory and very close (500m) to the coast we saw what we immediately recognised as a wildcat dead by the road. It's only the second I've seen dead in 15 years in Italy.

We pulled in immediately and went back. We were immediately joined by a police car that had done a U-turn behind us. 'Where are you going?' they asked. 'To pick up the dead wildcat'. 'So were we.'

Anyway... to cut a long story short - the animal is a young male wildcat and at this time of year they are often knocked down as they go in search of females. There have always been wildcats in our area but numbers seem to be rising and so far there has not been the dreaded hybridisation with domestic cats. Numbers are rising and they seem to be spreading into the lowlands.

One odd thing. Last week I saw wildcat running UP the road in front of my car close to my village (about 10km from the dead animal). I've never seen a domestic cat do that - they cross roads. Talking to the policemen, they had seen a wildcat on a drystone wall beside the road on the other side of the same village in the same week while on patrol on the Italian-Slovene border.

Anyway. I attach the pictures (stills from a video). You can see the wonderful black stripe along the back and the fat black-tipped ringed tail, the very long torso and legs, broad skull and small ears. What an animal

Attachments

• gatto1.jpg
    gatto1.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 180
  • gatto2.jpg
    gatto2.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 228
  • gatto3.jpg
    gatto3.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 216
Touty said:
Hi all,

Today, coming back home with a friend after some survey work at lunchtime we'd just crossed the river Timavo near Trieste (NE Italy), just outside a large paper factory and very close (500m) to the coast we saw what we immediately recognised as a wildcat dead by the road. It's only the second I've seen dead in 15 years in Italy.

We pulled in immediately and went back. We were immediately joined by a police car that had done a U-turn behind us. 'Where are you going?' they asked. 'To pick up the dead wildcat'. 'So were we.'

Anyway... to cut a long story short - the animal is a young male wildcat and at this time of year they are often knocked down as they go in search of females. There have always been wildcats in our area but numbers seem to be rising and so far there has not been the dreaded hybridisation with domestic cats. Numbers are rising and they seem to be spreading into the lowlands.

One odd thing. Last week I saw wildcat running UP the road in front of my car close to my village (about 10km from the dead animal). I've never seen a domestic cat do that - they cross roads. Talking to the policemen, they had seen a wildcat on a drystone wall beside the road on the other side of the same village in the same week while on patrol on the Italian-Slovene border.

Anyway. I attach the pictures (stills from a video). You can see the wonderful black stripe along the back and the fat black-tipped ringed tail, the very long torso and legs, broad skull and small ears. What an animal

I picked a dead one up in Argyll some years ago on the glen road. At the time several people in the area had had chickens and ducks taken, so I opened the cat's stomach up to have a look what it had been eating. I found two small rabbit's feet and two chicken feet! The killing stopped after that so I guess he was the culprit - gorgeous creature though, I certainly wouldn't have wished him dead. Some years later we had a she-wildcat that used to sit on the end of the hawk shed - bit alarming, but they were safely locked up and she was simply after mice.

An uncle of mine was up at dawn one May morning when he looked out of his bedroom window and spotted a wildcat seemingly stalking his chickens on the road outside! But the chickens flew up on to the fence, the wildcat ignored them and continued to stalk a young rabbit further down the road!

I used to see them occasionally when lamping at night in Argyll, once had a she-cat and three kittens quite close on a forest road, but normally they were very wary, much more so than foxes for instance.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back