• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighting for night photography? (1 Viewer)

I want to try some night photography of our local owls, however in order to get the camera (Canon 20D + 100-400 L IS + 550EX Flash) to autofocus I need to illuminate the owls. I am thinking of purchasing a head torch as that way it will leave my hands free for the camera.

Before I spend £40 to 60 I was wondering if anyone else had used a head torch and if so what make/light output/bulb type/etc they could recommend.

Thanks,

Robin

Hi Robin,

It requires a lot of practise to be able to photograph nightbirds on your own. Luckily I often have someone with me, so they are able to hold the flash light for me while I focus, once the camera is focused I say the magic word, the flash light is turned off and I press the shutter, this takes away the yellow cast from the flashlight. When I'm on my own, I still use a regular flashlight (3-cell maglite) but hold this between my legs, obviously requires plenty of practise, try to photograph a tin/can on a fencepost at night, see how you get on! I've now cracked it after a years practise, and I can now move the light away with my knees when I'm ready to take the photo.

I have tried various other methods, in theory it should be possible to use one hand holding onto the lens and the other pressing the shutter while holding the torch, but this just created too much camera shake for me.

I've tried using a headtorch, but the flash actually gets in the way, as this is in front of your forehead, making a headtorch useless! disappointing as it would make it a lot easier!

Attached is a photo of a White-fronted Scops Owl, taken using my method.

Attachments

• WhitefrontedScops.jpg
    WhitefrontedScops.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 370
James Eaton said:
Hi Robin,

I've tried using a headtorch, but the flash actually gets in the way, as this is in front of your forehead, making a headtorch useless! disappointing as it would make it a lot easier!

Attached is a photo of a White-fronted Scops Owl, taken using my method.

James,

Stunning owl shot, those eyes!! Your picture has given me even more incentive to try owl photography. I have a flash bracket that places the flashgun about 6 inches to the side of the camera so the flash will not get in the way of the headtorch. Moving the flash to the side also illiminates redeye, or whatever would be the owl equivalent. I think that I will buy a halogen headtorch from Nightsearcher. They say it has a 400m beam, so that ought to be enough.

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back