• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly id book (1 Viewer)

Karl J

I've looked at a couple in town bookshops but couldn't find anyone who has actually put one to any practical use.

So ....can anyone recommend a good dragonfly id book ?

Carlos

Two spring to mind

Brooks, Steve Lewington Richard
Field guide to the dragonflies and damselflies of Britain and Ireland

Powell Dan
Guide to dragonflies of Great Britain

Both are excellent books. The Brooks, Lewington work just shades it in my opinion as the illustrations are more technical, and the maps more detailed. Having said that the book by Dan Powell conveys a sense of jizz that is essential in differentiating some species and is clearly the work of someone who has drawn the species from experience.

I personally take both out with me!!

Darrell

Jeff / Darrell
Thanks for those, haven't actually come across either of them so I've taken note and will check into them over the weekend.

May possibly require a visit to the library I think.

Among my drag-loving friends, the Lewington one is the one used more in the field - the pictures are absolutely superb. Dan Powell's style is looser and concentrates more on jizz and behaviour

Gordon

Thanks again, hoping to get time between drops tomorrow to get to library.
Brooks pub. is in stock so I'll take a look.

redwing said:
Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Great Britain and Ireland
by Steve Brooks is excellent.

Rich

.... yep .... it is.

Picked it up this morning & field tested this afternoon.

Thanks to all for the advice

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back