• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod head advice, please. (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
12 mths ago I purchased the Manfrotto 128rc head to go with a Manfrotto 443 tripod.For 12mths I did not realize the head was faulty,very loose.Barry took it to pieces and repaired it is now rock solid,BUT,I cannot get to grips with having to use the left hand knob to turn the scope from side to side,the right hand one to tilt up and down,whilst at the same time trying to keep the bird in focus and the camera steady on the end of the scope.This morning has been a nightmare.Birds do not move in straight lines from side to side or up and down,least not the Golden Plovers I was trying to digiscope in the freezing cold this morning.
So I need a head for the tripod,which goes from side to side and up and down,just by using one lever,so that one only has one adjustment to make,keeping the other hand free to focus the scope.It must be compatible with the Man443 tripod,as this is a lightweight model.Weight for the head is not too much of a prob as I do not carry my equipment,just move from a-b as it were.I have looked in the Manfrotto book,but cannot see my tripod listed.I do not have the Swar balance rail,did buy ,but sold,too fiddly.
Many thanks.

You've lost me, Christine. The Manfrotto rc128 has one handle and that controls pan and tilt. Set up correctly, you shouldn't need to tighten anything, the friction/drag should hold things steady.

cheers
Andy

there must be something wrong somewhere.The only way one can move side to side is by loosening the left hand knob,just under the head,and the tilt for going up and down is at the right hand side on the outside.The long handle then moves the head when these two knobs are loosened.

The long handle is not attached to anything,one can just change the position of it so it it pointing away from you or towards you.You just undo a screw at the side and it slides out.

Last edited:
The principal behind fluid type heads like this is one of friction, it should be stiff enough to hold the equipment steady (i.e not drooping down) but still be easy enough (though it will be a bit stiff) to vary pan & tilt by the handle. Once you have got the friction set for this on the knobs, you shouldn't need to touch them again.

cheers,
Andy

Yes,Andy,Barry has just had a look for me.i see what you mean yes one can move the handle from side to side and up and down,but esp when the tilt is loosened the scope tends to drop forward.The last set I used a couple of years ago was a Velbon Sherpa.The handle did everything,but it was too light.Is it not possible to find a heavier head for this tripod,which just uses the handle but is strong enough to hold steady when loosened.Some birds move very quickly!!!

christineredgate said:
Yes,Andy,Barry has just had a look for me.i see what you mean yes one can move the handle from side to side and up and down,but esp when the tilt is loosened the scope tends to drop forward.The last set I used a couple of years ago was a Velbon Sherpa.The handle did everything,but it was too light.Is it not possible to find a heavier head for this tripod,which just uses the handle but is strong enough to hold steady when loosened.Some birds move very quickly!!!
The rc128 probably isn't the best for digiscoping, especially where you have a reasonably heavy camera at one end to upset the applecart. You can get a Manfrotto device that can shift the balance of your scope+camera but you may be better off with another head.

Manfrotto make several fluid heads that are more substantial and will do a better job.

There is the Manfrotto 701rc2 http://www.digiscoped.com/manfrotto701RC2.html
This is a bit better than the rc128 (in fact it has replaced it in the Manfrotto line-up). It's drag control (friction) is slightly better but it has the advantage of a sliding top plate the will shift the balance of your set-up slightly, so droop will be lessened.

A better but heavier choice would be the Manfrotto 501 Pro.
http://www.digiscoped.com/manfrotto701RC2.html#anchor_44
This has a sliding top plate as well but gives more movement than the 701rc2, the drag control is far better as well, so good that you probably won't need to use the sliding top plate.

Manfrotto also do a 503 and larger fluid heads, but they are very heavy and overkill.

cheers,
Andy

Maybe our friends here can help you get the best from the 128RC but if you need a new head I use one of these.....

click to view 701 RC2 fluid head

It's the best one I've tried so far and is a delight to use - no need to set anything - just grab the handle and follow the action - very smooth even at high magnifications.
It has a balancing rail and counterbalance spring built in which work beautifully - really added to my enjoyment of using a scope.

£79 from WarehouseExpress.

Chris and Andy thankyou for info.I went to the sites and it seems that the 701 will use the same plates as the 128,I leave the plates on scope and cam and lenses,as it is too fiddly to keep changing from one to another.I am not very good with screws etc,so it would save replacing all the plates.But I do need something more solid.For a year ,apart from the Herons all my digiscoping pics have been blurry.The scope is fine and so is the camera,it is the tripod set up which is causing the probs.

christineredgate said:
.The scope is fine and so is the camera,it is the tripod set up which is causing the probs.

I find with the 701 that I often don't use the handle at all, my focussing hand and the gentle pressure from my nose against the eyepiece is enought to move the scope around - I'd imagine you be able to digiscope (if attached by an adaptor) with one hand on the camera and the other on the scope.

thanks,Chris,I guess the 701 will be the one to go for.I will have one more try with the 128,now I realize that one does not have to tighten the side knobs each time,ie it will move to and fro with the handle,but it really is too light for the scope.It could be my technique(or lack of!!).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back