• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a goose? (1 Viewer)

paula

Forgive me my ignorance on water birds.
Saw this bird swimming, while trying to capture gulls in flight.
Upon looking it up in my bird book I could not find its name.
Could anyone shed light on this?

Attachments

• goose.jpg
    goose.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 413
Interesting, folks, does it mean it has escaped from a collection and naturalised or do they migrate?
No wonder I was in doubt if it was a goose or some sort of duck!
Thanks for all the info from you knowledgable people.

Yes, either it, or its ancestors, escaped from captivity. The species is originally from Africa. They've been naturalised in East Anglia for about 50 years or so, and have more recently started spreading to some other parts of the country.

Michael

Paula,

The UK population are feral - they were originally introduced to Britain in the 17th century. Taxonomically their place and relationship to other geese/ducks varies depending on the expert. The Handbook of the Birds of the World puts them in the sub-family Anatinae along with the Andean Goose, Blue-winged Goos, Upland Goose and other South American geese as well as the Shelducks and Steamer Ducks. Others group them differently!

A particular favourite of mine .... wherever you find water in Kenya you'll find a pair of Egyptian Geese (this includes small puddles and rain-soaked grass). They're incredibly numerous, very noisy ..... and I just love 'em!

Helen

Paula,

Further thought .... the reason you may not have found this in your books is because your bird is the adult grey morph. Your references may only show the normal colour variant which includes a very distinctive dark eye patch.

Helen

I saw a grey morph Egyptian Goose, almost identical to this picture on the lake at Guildford Riverside Park yesterday. It caught us me out as well as the eye patch on my sighting was very pale. The Concise BWP shows a drawing of a grey morph EG, but the eye patch in the BWP drawing is more pronounced than either the photo above or my sighting. Nevertheless, it took a consultation with BWP to conclude the identity of the bird. This is further confirmation.

Dave.

Paula,

The UK population are feral - they were originally introduced to Britain in the 17th century. Taxonomically their place and relationship to other geese/ducks varies depending on the expert. The Handbook of the Birds of the World puts them in the sub-family Anatinae along with the Andean Goose, Blue-winged Goos, Upland Goose and other South American geese as well as the Shelducks and Steamer Ducks. Others group them differently!

A particular favourite of mine .... wherever you find water in Kenya you'll find a pair of Egyptian Geese (this includes small puddles and rain-soaked grass). They're incredibly numerous, very noisy ..... and I just love 'em!

Helen
They are awesome birds I agree!

They are awesome birds I agree!

I agree too, it is although they look like they are made of porcelain. They are handsome birds.

They are seen only near park lakes, in small parties or nesting pairs. :t:

It seems to have become naturalized in Norfolk, East Anglia. It appears that they are considered British Birds now.

I am sure there will be other views here too. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back