• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bag works for you? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I love looking at the photos here, and am in the process of trying to take a lot more myself. My issue is carrying evrything for long days in the field, comfortably, effieciently(get at it quickly and easily), and safely.
I'm using a D70 with a Sigma 170-500, and would like to carry a few other things. I've looked at some backpacks, but they seem to hard to reach things without scaring off what I'm trying to take pictures of.
Am I asking too much? Anyone have any packs they use that they really like?

Thanks...

I use a Lowepro backpack for my birding and digiscope equipment. Scope sits down the middle and camera, adapter and bins down the side. Works a treat.

Matthew

LowePro Minitrekker - I have a 170-500, scope, flash, junk etc to carry around and I've found the most comfortable way is on your back - might take a second longer to get stuff out but I use zooms which cover a range.
I tried shoulder bags but the weight I carry doesn't sit well there at all - it slips off and is painfull - on the back using chest and waist straps you hardly feel it at all.

I use a Lowepro nature trekker II aw to lug all my gear around in. I can get my D70 with sigma 500mm & 1.4x tc attached down the middle, with my 80-400 os beside it. I also carry my swaro 80hd in the other side. Cards, spare batterys, cleaning gear etc are all carried in various internal pockets. Oh & i forgot too mention the 2x tc & nikon 18-70 zoom aswell. The tripod can be lashed to the outside & the whole lot covered in a waterproof cover if you get caught in a storm. The only problem is where do i put a macro lens when i get one! The point i am trying to make is you can never have enough room in these bags. Yes it weighs a ton but once it is on your back, you dont notice the weight nearly as much as if you had it all in a bag slung over your shoulder. Anything i think i will need as i walk around, i get out ready to go. ( i.e. camera mounted on tripod & carried over my shoulder.) This works for me, & sometimes only take what i think i will need. Most of the time though i take the lot......... just in case! :t:

Another vote for the Nature Trekker AW. Very flexible, Although I haven't figured out where to put the flask and sarnies yet, perhaps I'll leave the camera behind?

:eat:

I have a big Lowepro backpack that I lug most of my gear around in/on, but only for transporting. Once I'm where I think I'm going to be shooting, I transfer whatever gear I think I'll need into a shoulder bag. There's no comparison between the small movement involved in reaching into a shoulder bag, and unslinging a backpack, zipping it open and getting what you need. There's a reason all press photographers use shoulder bags: Ease and speed of access! ;) Most of the photojournlists I knew used Domke shoulder bags.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back