• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

XW/XF/Vixen Eyepieces (1 Viewer)

Joshnwk

Hello, I am in the market for a scope and decided to go for the PF-60 ED, however I am a little confused about which eyepiece to choose. I have read many of the posts on this site, but am not totally clear on what I want. I would use the scope for general wildlife viewing. I really want a zoom, I understand the drawbacks. My question is this, which eyepiece do I want? I have seen many endorse the vixen zoom, but I just noticed a XW zoom eyepiece and no one has really mentioned it. Is the XW the same as the SMC (XO 5)? Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

HI Josh.
I use a Pentax scope. Several things to consider...Do you wear glasses? do you intend to digiscope?, are you going to get only one eyepiece?
The cheapest zoom eyepiece I have seen is the Orion Explorer II 7-21mm for $45 @ amazon. I use another Orion product (stratus 13mm) and I really like it. The good thing that with a Pentax scope you have lots to choose from. I'm sure you will find something that meet your needs. Jose.

Thanks for the reply. I should have given more info. at the outset. I do not wear glasses, digiscoping perhaps sometime down the road, and yes for now I would like to start with one eyepiece. Also, I am not trying to get away with spending the least amount of money, not that I have bottomless pockets, just would like quality.
Josh

Joshnwk said:
Thanks for the reply. I should have given more info. at the outset. I do not wear glasses, digiscoping perhaps sometime down the road, and yes for now I would like to start with one eyepiece. Also, I am not trying to get away with spending the least amount of money, not that I have bottomless pockets, just would like quality.
Josh

I recently purchased a used astro engineering 8--24 zoom .its an exellent EP.
equal to my vixen zoom. the best thing about it . It comes with the normal rubber eye shield & also has a 28mm thread so it can be attached to a nikon CP4050 or some other cameras if you decide on digiscoping later . WILLIAMS OPTICS & ASTRONOMICS . have similar EP,s that will fix to cameras .This would be the best bet if you decide on digiscoping at a later date.

Brian.

Hi medinabrit: can you tell us more about this eyepiece (FOV, Performance, etc). Where did you get it?. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks, Jose.

mmdnje said:
Hi medinabrit: can you tell us more about this eyepiece (FOV, Performance, etc). Where did you get it?. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks, Jose.

Check on digitech optical .Igot mine used with the camera on astromart,.
just check out astro engineering eye piece on digitech optical.
i,d post a link but never did figure out how .It really is a neat EP tho.
Brian.

Sorry Jose .that should have been digitec optical[no h] full name of the EP is
astro engineering digimax zoom eye piece.
Brian.

Joshnwk said:
Hello, I am in the market for a scope and decided to go for the PF-60 ED, however I am a little confused about which eyepiece to choose. I have read many of the posts on this site, but am not totally clear on what I want. I would use the scope for general wildlife viewing. I really want a zoom, I understand the drawbacks. My question is this, which eyepiece do I want? I have seen many endorse the vixen zoom, but I just noticed a XW zoom eyepiece and no one has really mentioned it. Is the XW the same as the SMC (XO 5)? Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

Josh

Josh I would strongly suggest you re-think your eyepiece strategy.

First one of the important advantages of the Pentax over others is it's ability to use generic 1.25 inch eyepieces. You have a choice of many first rate inexpensive fixed focus EP.s out there. I would not limit myself to a budget Zoom or any zoom for that matter. I am using the XW zoom ($400) in a 80mm and while it has it's uses it is definitly an optical compromise. I can only imagine what kind of results you would get out of a $50 zoom on the 65mm.

I would suggest instead of one low cost zoom getting a decent
all-around fixed focus EP like the Stratus 17mm and/or 13mm for a $100. For
general wildlife observation you could do no better including a zoom.

BTW the Pentax XO series is a fixed focus orthoscopic suitable
for astronomical observation only (very narrow FOV).

Check out the Orion Expanse and Stratus lines for a starter. There are
many others as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back