• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where did she go??? (1 Viewer)

kellik

i don't know if i am doing this right but.... i have the miracle of finding a new hummingbird nest just outside my 2nd story window. i have been watching her sit on the next for 2 weeks, until yesterday i noticed she was moving around the nest (perched on the side and flying around). i watched her go back and forth all day and i assumed the birds had hatched and she was searching for food. she has not been seen for 24 hours and today i death defyingly hung myself out the window to take a peek.... at an empty nest. what happened?

kellik said:
i don't know if i am doing this right but.... i have the miracle of finding a new hummingbird nest just outside my 2nd story window. i have been watching her sit on the next for 2 weeks, until yesterday i noticed she was moving around the nest (perched on the side and flying around). i watched her go back and forth all day and i assumed the birds had hatched and she was searching for food. she has not been seen for 24 hours and today i death defyingly hung myself out the window to take a peek.... at an empty nest. what happened?

Hmmm. Our few records of Anna's Hummingbird nesting in Texas the birds have nested in December and January in which case I would have expected fledging in early February. You would likely have seen two young hummingbirds in the nest though.

This is about exactly what had happened below our bedroom window last year in June. We had watched her building the nest, laying two eggs, and on June 17th the young hatched, but after that we did not see much feeding going on. There is one well documented feeding event (camcorder) from June 18th, but the next afternoon the nest was deserted. I guess this is just the way it goes, it does not always work out.
Are you sure the nest was completely empty? Just hatched hummingbirds are incredibly small and dark, we could tell that "ours" were there only if we saw them moving. If it really was empty, maybe some animal (squirrel?) got them?
As with our nest, you probably will never know... |:(|

thank you for sharing your experience... it broke my heart to see it empty! i guess it is just part of nature if a predator snatched them up? someone also thought maybe what i was watching was the baby, not the mother, fledging and preparing to leave the nest? whatever it was, i wish i still had her to watch everyday. she was so beautiful!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back