• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mighty Midget II, worth £100? (1 Viewer)

adam321 said:
I have found an Opticron Mighty Midget II with 25x eyepiece, without tripod or case. is it worth £100?
Brand new WE are only charging £174.00 for the MM2 + 25x eyepiece. If the scope you have found is okay optically and you are short of funds then it could be a good buy.
Make sure you try it before you hand over your cash.

i have not had the chance to try it but its sort of an urgent request. there is a delta 70 with tripod for a slightly higher price, would you recommend this aboeve the mm2?

adam321 said:
I have found an Opticron Mighty Midget II with 25x eyepiece, without tripod or case. is it worth £100?

Assuming it's optically sound it's well worth £100, they regularly sell secondhand for more than that. The good thing about the MM2 is that it is fine with the MM eyepieces, but you can improve the image by adding an HDF eyepiece. While you'll be best off getting a tripod, you can use the MM2 handheld, though this is easier if you get a Grippa strap.

adam321 said:
i have not had the chance to try it but its sort of an urgent request. there is a delta 70 with tripod for a slightly higher price, would you recommend this aboeve the mm2?

It will depend on the use you have for it - the MM2 is a highly portable scope with good optics. A 70mm scope will be larger and heavier, though should (in theory) have better light gathering. It also depends how much more the Delta is - you could pick up a tripod to use with the MM2 fairly cheaply.

i am not a serious birdwatcher, but i like to watch them and currently have some bins but would like a cheap scope, I am leaning more towards the delta 70 for value, especially with tripod, and with a 70mm obj. compared to 52 on the mm2

Last edited:
adam321 said:
i am not a serious birwatcher, but i like to watch them and currently have some bins but would like a cheap scope, I am leaning more towards the delta 70 for value, especially with tripod, and with a 70mm obj. compared to 52 on the mm2

While the Delta 70 might seem like better value, you might well find that you are less likely to take it out with you as it will be fairly bulky. The MM2 is very small and lightweight - the Grippa strap (£25) goes around and adds a handstrap (like on a camcorder) making it very easy to use. I would think that this set up might well get more use. My wife uses a MM2 and the light gathering is fine on it, the small objective only shows in very poor conditions.

adam321 said:
i am not a serious birwatcher, but i like to watch them and currently have some bins but would like a cheap scope, I am leaning more towards the delta 70 for value, especially with tripod, and with a 70mm obj. compared to 52 on the mm2
I don't want to confuse the issue even more, but I just thought I'd throw in my tuppence ha'penny worth. I had an MM2 that I thought I'd use a lot while out on casual walks or cycling, but I actually hardly used it, found the 52mm objective lens too restrictive. First of all I used a HDF 25x eyepiece, then changed to a HR 20x, still didn't use it much, preferred a good pair of compact bins. Opticron make one called BGA TPC compacts, I have a pair in 10x28 and love them, I also have used their Traveller BGA 8x32 and think they're superb. I know these are bins rather than scopes, but if portability and casual use are the order of the day, you might want to take a look. The MM2 on a light tripod is ok, but if you're in a situation where you really need a scope, and you've gone to the trouble of bringing an MM2 and a tripod anyway, you might find yourself wishing you had something brighter and bigger. On the other hand, I see a lot of people using MM2's for whom portability is an issue, especially elderly birders or kids. And 100 sterling is good, about 150 euros I think. It's your call. Good luck and happy birding.

I just posted a thread on the Bushnell spacemaster collapsable scope . looks the same as the mighty midget .about 70 pounds [$124] from Adorama .NY.with 2 ep,s & some other extras .
Brian.

adam321 said:

which way did you decide to go in the end... or are you still thinking?

i decided to go for the delta 70 with tripod. Seemed better value and looked better. plus the 70mm lens was a bonus. It has a zoom eyepiece too although i'm not sure of the exact spec. thanks for advice though everyone!

adam321 said:
i decided to go for the delta 70 with tripod. Seemed better value and looked better. plus the 70mm lens was a bonus. It has a zoom eyepiece too although i'm not sure of the exact spec. thanks for advice though everyone!

good stuff - let us know how you get on with it

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back