• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 BL Ultravid (1 Viewer)

zurtfox

Hi All.

I have just submitted a test of the 8x20 BL in Equipment Reviews - Compact Binoculars. I hope that's OK!

Chris

zurtfox said:
Hi All.

I have just submitted a test of the 8x20 BL in Equipment Reviews - Compact Binoculars. I hope that's OK!

Chris

Hi Chris

Nice straightforward review must admit i struggle slightly with small bins/exit pupil and have veered away mainly from 8 x20 compacts
Might have a look thru a pair though at some point as i have been amazed at my Nikon 8 x 30 E11 's basically because of how bright they are considering the relatively small objectives
The Leica's are a big chunk of cash for a compact and i suspect the rubber BR version would be favoured but as they could well be the only compact bin most people will ever purchase perhaps the cost equation looks a bit better over the duration

Regards
Rich

Thanks for the review.

I have the Nikon HG 8x20 and find them to be supurb. At first, I too was concerned about the focussing knob being at the objective lens end. In practice however, this has proved to be not an issue at all, and I use my ring/fourth finger. The Ultravids weren't around whn I bought them.

Nice review.

I got a pair of 8x20 BRs last year and love them - I also found that the Nikon HG compacts were the only others that I liked.

I also looked at the 8 × 20 Ultravids when I wanted some new binos at the beginning of this year. In the end I went for the Leica 10 × 25 which were expensive but will probably outlast me.

The extra magnification is useful to me (I go horseracing) and I am delighted with them. As a "not too serious" birdwatcher I had no desire to have anything too large/heavy to carry as most of my birdwatching is done when I am out walking with the family.

I would have been quite happy with the 8 × 20 if I had no choice, and I am sure you will be delighted with them.

Whilst the hard case looks good it is not as practical as the soft case.

trealawboy said:
Thanks for the review.

At first, I too was concerned about the focussing knob being at the objective lens end. In practice however, this has proved to be not an issue at all, and I use my ring/fourth finger.

I´ve never got used to this. The focus knob at this place is really a flaw from an ergonomical point of view IMHO. The 8x20 Nikon HG also suffers from straylight more than the Leica.

Steve

Last edited:
hinnark said:
I never got used to this. The focus knob at this place are really a flaw from an ergonomical point of view IMHO. The 8x20 Nikon HG also suffers from straylight more than the Leica.

Steve

I have had two generations of Leica 8x20 Trinovids or whatever they called them before the Ultravids came out. And I really think the Ultravids are a leap forward. Particularly that ergonomically fine focus knob. I opted for the 10x25, however. I felt they fitted so well into my hands to hold them steady with the last two or three fingers going around the barrel. In a way what Swarovski had in mind for their ELs (but my hands are too small for their x42 barrels). Steve/Scampo has raved about the Ultravids earlier, and I think he is right in considering them a bargain when compared to "full sized" top models. Sure, they are not cheap, but it's the cheapest way to get a top class pair of binoculars.

zurtfox said:
Hi All.

Chris

Great job! :clap:
My 10x25 is the BR model, which may actually feel even better in the hand for this reason. I agree with your observation regarding fitting one's pupils to the relatively small exit pupils of the compacts. And that diopter knob really does get a bit of getting used to. But that is just nit-picking now.

Swissboy said:
I have had two generations of Leica 8x20 Trinovids or whatever they called them before the Ultravids came out. And I really think the Ultravids are a leap forward. Particularly that ergonomically fine focus knob. I opted for the 10x25, however. I felt they fitted so well into my hands to hold them steady with the last two or three fingers going around the barrel. In a way what Swarovski had in mind for their ELs (but my hands are too small for their x42 barrels). Steve/Scampo has raved about the Ultravids earlier, and I think he is right in considering them a bargain when compared to "full sized" top models. Sure, they are not cheap, but it's the cheapest way to get a top class pair of binoculars.
If you think that a "rave", Robert, you've never seen me "rave"! I do like them enormously, but... I am on your side when weight is not an issue. It's the wide view of the ELs that makes that weight worthwhile for me, rather than the other aspects you mention.

Swissboy said:

I think Leica developed those Ultravids with the other brands in mind to make their pocket line just a little bit better than the competitors. BTW: Zeiss use now also dielectric mirror faces at the prisms of their Victory pocket line. Time to review those again.

Chris, I forgot to mention: excellent review! In fact, one of the best I´ve read so far. It´s alway a good idea to check the manufactorer´s specifications.

Steve

scampo said:
If you think that a "rave", Robert, you've never seen me "rave"! I do like them enormously, but... I am on your side when weight is not an issue. It's the wide view of the ELs that makes that weight worthwhile for me, rather than the other aspects you mention.

Steve, did I misunderstand your post? In my post, I meant you were raving about (your wife's) small Ultravids. I only mentioned the ELs because - to me - holding a 10x25 Ultravid is a bit similar to what Swarovski claims is so great about the EL's design. But I did not mean to comment on the ELs per se.

Swissboy said:
Steve, did I misunderstand your post? In my post, I meant you were raving about (your wife's) small Ultravids. I only mentioned the ELs because - to me - holding a 10x25 Ultravid is a bit similar to what Swarovski claims is so great about the EL's design. But I did not mean to comment on the ELs per se.
No - I was joking about "raving". I was referring back to your earlier post on preferring a larger weightier binocular.

interesting review Robert (you never rated them though.......)

its curious you found that the Nikon had a similar optical pquality but say "However, I was not comfortable using my little finger to focus and they never came to my eye as easily as the Leicas."

Now the latter point I found exactly the opposite! Although optically I think they are superb!

It'll be interesting to read Kimmo's roundup on compacts. In the next Alula I believe.

pduxon said:
It'll be interesting to read Kimmo's roundup on compacts. In the next Alula I believe.

I'm sorry but, I'm unfamiliar with "Alula," could you explain what it is and where one might peruse its contents?

thanks

lucznik said:
I'm sorry but, I'm unfamiliar with "Alula," could you explain what it is and where one might peruse its contents?

thanks

its a finish birding mag. the optics reviews are done by a BF member.

www.alula.fi press on the union jack for the english version and look for optics. Some reviews are online

pduxon said:
interesting review Robert (you never rated them though.......)[Unquote]

Robert??? Who is dat man?

Anyway... If I could figure out how to retrospectively put a figure in the 'Rating' box I would give them 9/10. For me, they lose that 1 point because of the diopter button.

As for the "never came to the eye.... " comment about the Nikons, well, looking back through my notes, I tested them over a couple of days, both of which were with "light cloud", thus less bright, which may account for that finding. However, I have been continuing to use the Leicas during the past few gloomy days and I still think that they are exceptional until the light starts to fall after sunset.

One further observation: the object lenses are very close to the end of the barrel (not much more than 1mm at the centre) which makes them rather vulnerable to finger-marking or worse!

>>Chris<<

I have the 8x20 Trinovids and made the mistake of going on vacation with someone who owns the 8x20 Ultravids. The improvement in the Ultravids is dramatic, especially in edge sharpness and reduction in pincushioning. I bought the Ultravids, as did the other person on the trip with 8x20 Trinovids.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back