• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Severe weather in New York City (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

We are suffering through a blizzard, -5ºC, ,more than 10 cm. of snow on the ground, with the possibility of a total of 45 cm., and strong winds. There is also a thunderstorm, with lighting flashes as well as thunder. It is the lightning which makes this seem so odd. I can recall lightning in a snowstorm only once, before.

Obviously, this is no day to enjoy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

john barclay said:
Keep safe..and indoors, Arthur.

John.
John,

It is only a blizzard, not a hurricane. I have to be at my usual Sunday morning services, less than a kilometer away. However, I shall modify my dress. From there, I usually go to Central Park, but not today.

Over the last three days, there was a movie shoot down the street, Night at the Museum, with Ben Stiller. The workmen put down two inches of artificial snow on trees, on autos, and in front of two houses. Yesterday evening, the crews were vacuuming the stuff up. Now real snow is arriving.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
1930 hours: the snowfall was in excess of 66 cms., an all time record for New York City.

Last edited:
Holy Moly.
I hadn't taken a look at the radar. I knew we were going to get a decent snow up north, but had no idea that NYC was getting clobbered.
Stay warm.

Best
elizabeth

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back