• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White birds in bright sun (1 Viewer)

surfgeod70

Anyone have any particular advice?? Invariably, I can be shooting a blue heron off to one side, then suddenly happen upon a white egret or heron or even pelican very quickly and of course if you aren't thinking quick enough you have overexposed highlights.

just curious as to what others do in this situation - just shut down 2 stops and go for it? of course if you take the time to preview the digital image, the bird spooks and flees before you get another shot. I need to develop a clean, dependible technique without my eye leaving the viewfinder.....

surfgeod70 said:
just curious as to what others do in this situation - just shut down 2 stops and go for it? of course if you take the time to preview the digital image, the bird spooks and flees before you get another shot. I need to develop a clean, dependible technique without my eye leaving the viewfinder.....
Whenever I have tricky light or birds that are way off mid-tone I set Manual Exposure and then go up or down 1.5 stops as I'm looking through the viewfinder. You should be able to feel it without looking up. The other alternative is use Center-weighted metering and Raw and hope you can save it in processing later.Neil.

Neil said:
Whenever I have tricky light or birds that are way off mid-tone I set Manual Exposure and then go up or down 1.5 stops as I'm looking through the viewfinder. You should be able to feel it without looking up. The other alternative is use Center-weighted metering and Raw and hope you can save it in processing later.Neil.

sounds like i am about on track then. i just got 2 1gb cards for a total of 3, and just ordered paint shop pro X - so i can do RAW processing easier. although i have photoshop cs, i just think it is too slow and cumbersome.

surfgeo
(David)
www.dcgphotography.com

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back