• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go in Ontario? (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I am travelling to Montreal for work at the start of June and would like to go down to Ontario do do some birdwatching can people suggest good places to visit there and in Montreal, I am of course going via Niagra and would like to get on a pelagic trip somewhere. And will probably go to Algonquin park for Moose as well.

Bearing in mind I am from the UK and have never visited Canada before, I will have a car.

All help most appreciated

Mark

Algonquin Park was the first place I though of. Watch there also for wolves... a pack has been found there that was thought to be extinct.
Too bad you can't come up north.. there are many species up here that you will not see down south.
Have a great trip and I sincerely hope you enjoy your first visit to this fine country!

The town dump just outside Minton south of Algonquin for Black Bears. After work has stopped - view throgh chainlink gate at entrance. Saw my only Striped Skunk and Raven of a 10 day trip around SE Ontario there a few years ago.
Join the Ontbirds mailing list for latest news etc.

Andy

Depending on how far you want to travel.......

One of the hottest birding spots on the entire North American continent is in Ontario: Point Pelee. But its in far southwestern Ontario, just south and east of Detroit, near Leamington, along the northern shore of Lake Erie.

And in the latest (July-August) issue of WildBird magazine is an article on Amherst Island, which is in the northernmost end of Lake Ontario, just 12 miles west of Kingston, Ontario. I hadn't evevn heard of this place until this article arrived a few days ago, but it refers to Amhest as the "Owl Capital of North America". Let me quote from a short sidebar to the article:

"Although owl invasion years are the best time to visit Amherst Island, a trip during any winter can be exciting and productive. The first migrant Northern Saw-whet and Long-eared Owls start to arrive in late October, with lesser numbers found from December through February; peak numbers occur in early to mid-March. This results from a combination of northward migrants and lingering winter birds.

Boreal Owls are not always present, so it is a good idea to check the local bird reports. The most productive owling times are late February through March for a maximum number of migrants and wintering birds. By late March, Boreal Owls (if present) begin to disappear, but a wave of migrant saw-whets may be found in late March and early April. By mid-April, the owl show ends.

During spring, summer and fall, Amherst Island is a wonderful place to combine resident and migrating birds with a peaceful getaway. Ospreys and Wood Ducks nest on the island, and more than 20 shorebird species may be seen in late July and August during migration."

The island is accessible via ferry, for $5 round-trip, with departures beginning at 6:20 a.m. through 1:30 a.m., every 30 minutes, from the village of Millhaven.

You might check out www.amherstisland.on.ca/index.html, which is a local website.

Ontario Fields Ornithologists are at www.ofo.ca

Last edited:
satrow said:
The town dump just outside Minton south of Algonquin for Black Bears. After work has stopped - view throgh chainlink gate at entrance. Saw my only Striped Skunk and Raven of a 10 day trip around SE Ontario there a few years ago.
Join the Ontbirds mailing list for latest news etc.

Andy

I cannot find Minton on my road map can you give me some more directions, towns close etc.

Thanks

Mark

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry.
For Minton read MINDEN!

Minden, located 45 minutes north of Lindsay on Highway #35, is the county seat for the municipalities of Haliburton County.

http://www.minden.on.ca/FAQ.shtml - gives a list of their landfill sites. The one I visited was perhaps 10 minutes from the main through road, into the town, cross the river?, and two or three miles along narrow, winding lanes. The final approach was up a steepish hill.

http://uk.multimap.com/wi/56599.htm is a map of the area.

Another area I visited with great success was Carden Plain http://www.cardenplainimportantbirdarea.com/welcomeh.htm http://members.rogers.com/larry.neily/carden.htm

Again, apologies for crap memory!

Andy

Although not directly a birding tip (in fact not a birding tip at all!), I would recomend a visit to Niagara on the Lake which is a few miles up the road from Niagara Falls and has got to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
Looking over Lake Ontario from the Anchorage hotel drinking a chardonnay (I think) from the local Inneskillin vinyard is one of my lasting memories from our holiday in 2001

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back